Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Not Self-conscious Despite the Pot on my Head

Christopher and I were talking about the weekend in northern Virginia when he asked if I had fun.  Had fun?  Of course I did!  Then he said that I seemed really comfortable and, well, at home.  I got to thinking.  Yeah, I guess I do feel at home around his family.  They're my family too!

You'd think it'd be simple and easy to feel so at ease with one's in-laws after being together for seven and a half years.  But that isn't always the case with everyone.  How many "monster-in-law" jokes are there?  So I think I have come to truly appreciate that I can sit on my mother-in-law's kitchen floor with her and my sister-in-law while I try to make my baby laugh with a pot on my head and not feel self-conscious or weird about it.  That's a really good feeling.

Taken by Elizabeth
These are relationships that have taken time to build.  His family has always been hospitable and even allowed me in their family portraits when Chris and I had only been dating for about ten months.  I have always appreciated that little gesture; it meant a lot to me back then--and still does.  I remember the first time we all ate together.  Chris and I had been dating for a month and a half.  I had just turned 18 the day before.  We ate at a Cracker Barrel in Richmond.  I was unbelievably shy (and silent) and ate one pancake.  Now we share a name and a pretty little boy--their grandson and nephew and my son.  Oh, and Christopher too.

No comments:

Post a Comment