Monday, December 26, 2011

First Christmas

This is where I say that our first Christmas together was a "slam dunk" or something cliche like that, but, my goodness, it was!

Eliot slept later than most boys and girls, not knowing what to expect.  As soon as he woke up, we went downstairs for present time!  He opened a sweater first, and then Chris said to give him a toy.  He pulled the paper back slowly and then smirked when he realized what was behind the paper.  Each time, we would open the presents slowly together and then that same smirk would appear.  It was so cute!  Eliot received a baby lap top, a tool work bench, a set of four cars, and clothes.  Later, I felt a little bit bad that we kind of just gave him three things, but I knew a whole new world of toys was to come--followed by his birthday in about two and a half weeks.  Plus, I'd say his bike trailer certainly counts as part of his present.
"Why are you guys looking at me like that?  What is going on?"
The smirk.
I think this table saw might be his favorite toy.

I can't believe how quickly he gets things.  I only show him how to play with each toy once and then he takes off doing exactly what I just did.  It's amazing to watch him grow in understanding!  Christopher made biscuits for breakfast, we all showered, and Eliot snuck in a small nap.  Then we headed "up the mountain" to my aunt's house for lunch.  I hadn't seen my cousins (Zach and his wife, Christa) in a while, so it was great to see them.  Eliot received even more toys.  By then, we knew Chris's parents were getting quite close.  Back down the mountain to our house!

Eliot then opened more presents and even got his firstttt basketball goal!  His Robinson grandparents know how to spoil a baby boy.  The basketball goal might be a little old for him, but he actually will be able to reach the rim once he gets to standing really well.  I got some awesome new shirts (my wardrobe has been seriously lacking lately), new eyeshadow from Bare Minerals, and L.L. Bean slippers.  Chris got a nice sweater and about a year's supply of Starbucks K-cups--we also got a Keurig coffee maker.  We headed to one of the few places open for dinner:  Ruby Tuesdays.

Christmas definitely isn't just about the presents, though.  This year has felt mountains more special and enjoyable than the holidays have in a long time.  I honestly didn't want much of anything, but received a great bread machine from my parents that I plan to use to help keep our family healthy with fresh baked goods and also was given about seven new articles of clothing to help ease some of that "blerg-ness" that I have been feeling lately.  It all comes back to family, though.  I have felt so grateful for my family members (immediate and extended), the ones I got to see and the ones I didn't.  And we have been so beyond blessed with our beautiful, healthy son who steals everyone's heart.  As we celebrate the birth of Christ, I am nothing but humbled and thankful for His grace.

Rocking horse from my parents
Chris told me that he felt like we really need a new house with all of these toys.  I assured him that even people with much larger houses feel crowded with kid's toys.  After living in this house for two and a half years, I'm going to convert that darn downstairs bedroom.  It has been an office/storage room this whole time, so making it into a playroom isn't going to make us lose anything, but an eyesore of a room.  I honestly hadn't done earlier due to cost, but I plan to buy nothing more than a few rugs, frames and prints, and hooks.  I have it all planned out in my head; you'll see.  With two weeks off from teaching and Chris taking a class all this week, today I start the purging!  I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on the process.  Hurray, right?

2 comments:

  1. Just imagine the toys with two birthdays and christmas back to back Haha. I wish we had a play room. I can't wait to see Eliot's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be a lot of toys! Do you have a system of organization? I'm heavily investing in baskets to the point that I should buy stock in wicker and weaving materials.

    ReplyDelete