Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Dear Eliot: Eleven Months

Dear Eliot,

Your tenth month went by too fast!  It seems just like yesterday that I was writing that letter.  Here we are at eleven months--the last month and letter before you turn one year old.

Here is a photo of you on the day that you turned ten months.


There are times when I look at your dad and just say, "He is so big.  He is such a boy."  And it's true.  I look at you and can't believe how much you have grown.  It is almost like a caricature when I carry you.  Everything about you seems so much more like a boy than a baby.

This month, you have grown in your playing and understanding.  You mimic us quite well.  You make your car go "vroom," animals make noises, "read" books to us, and so much more.  Before, you used to just throw your toys for the dogs to fetch them or turn them into walkers.  That has changed, though.  If you have a toy and I ask for it, you gently give it to me.  You also help to clean up.  Maybe I can teach you "please" and "thank you" a little early....

Speaking of the dogs, you have gotten really great with animals.  You rarely pull their ears or the cat's tail anymore.  You gently pat them and try to snuggle by putting your face on them.  Sometimes when the dogs are playing rough, you try to crawl straight into the wrestling match.

Eliot, I am so proud of the way you eat.  You eat more healthy than your dad and I do!  You are always trying new things and eating like a big boy.  At the moment, your favorite food is raspberries.  At your nine month appointment, I got worried because you weren't feeding yourself, but it turned out to be my fault since I wasn't pushing larger pieces of table food.  I thought you'd choke, but not the case.  You eat anything and everything we give you with your hands.  The funniest thing is that if I give you a sandwich, you eat the crust first.  You are such a healthy boy, and we are eating better ourselves because of you.

You keep on growing!  I weighed you a couple of weeks ago at home and you were 20 pounds.   That probably isn't super heavy for your age, but you have always been on the light side; however, it is almost three times your birth weight.  You wear 12 month shirts and pants, and your pjs are 18 month.  Your hair is coming in a little more and is a light blond up top with also some dirty blond underneath.

For some reason, I was convinced that you'd be walking by Thanksgiving.  I'm not sure why all the way.  You just seemed to be progressing so fast and then you decided to calm down a little bit.  It doesn't really matter much anyway.  You aren't walking yet, but you love to be helped around the house.  You walk with one hand being held and laugh hysterically the whole way.  You stand up on your own and take a couple of steps, but then decide that crawling is faster.  We try to convince you to take steps to us, and sometimes you do, but you need more confidence.  I know you can do it; you just aren't sure yet.  And that is fine.  You'll get there.  Take your time!  It will be a whole new world of challenges once you are walking around.

Eliot, you love to be scared, surprised, and thrilled.  You love peek-a-boo, being thrown in the air or pretend dropped, and when I jump out to scare you.  Sometimes you jump so much when I yell, "Boo!!" that I feel bad, but you smile so big and wait for me to do it again.  I suppose that is the boy in you.

The past month has been full of new holiday traditions.  Your dad doesn't usually get too excited about Christmas or anything like that, but this year he went all out because he was excited to share it with you.  I'm sure you won't remember any of this, yet it is nice to get a "head start" on our traditions.  Everything is so much more fun with you around.  At Thanksgiving, you ate a little bit of everything.

The next day, you let us hang Christmas lights.  We had never put Christmas lights out, so this was a big deal for us.  I had always told your dad no way!  He really wanted to do it, though, so we did!


You helped us pick out the best tree.


 Then you helped us decorate it, but you didn't help "too much"--just enough to be cute and not hurt yourself or break anything.

We saw the horses at the market.

You tolerated many Christmas portrait sessions.


Eliot, I have had so much fun with you this month.  You keep coming more and more into your own and I love the individual that you are growing into.  Your dad tells you constantly that you make him proud every day just by being you.  You make me so proud too, Eliot.  I'm so thankful to have you as my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment