Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Warmth! And Now Cold.

We had a glimpse of warmth over the past few days, so we finally got out of the house to do something fun!

On Saturday, we walked to a park in our neighborhood.

Sunday, Eliot was talking about boats all morning, so in the afternoon, we headed to Norfolk where we looked as the USS Wisconsin.  It was super windy by the water, but when the wind died down some, Eliot was very excited.  Nauticus (a maritime museum) is a little pricey and you have to buy a ticket to board the Wisconsin, but we were able to look at their Naval floor for free.

We had simple plans for Monday.  Chris was going to join a 24-hour gym and then we'd take Eliot to the pet store right next door so he could see the "Nemo fish," which we had been promising him.  Well, the people at the gym were kind of grumbly and then the pet store didn't open until noon!  This was around 11:00 am.  Sigh.  Eliot was screaming, Chris was bummed, and I didn't know how to fix it all.  Easy fix:  I drove us out to Animal Jungle in Virginia Beach.  Animal Jungle was my favorite place in the world as a kid.  It's huge with every type of pet you can think of.  Eliot had a blast.  And I was way creeped out by the snakes because it was feeding time.  Shudder.  I'm generally cool with snakes, just not when they're eating rats.  Ugggh.

By the time we left the zoo--I mean, Animal Jungle--we were all hungry.  So we decided to splurge and eat out.  But when we got out of the car, Chris and I saw that the pressure was low on one tire. After lunch, we dropped Eliot off with my mom so Chris and I could drop the Jeep off to check on the tire.  We really needed to get at least one new tire since the tread was low, so I wasn't too bummed.  Turns out, there was a nail in the wall of the tire, which couldn't be repaired.  I thought this process might take two hours tops, but we ended up hanging around my mom's house for five hours.

It's just funny that we were planning a short, fun trip to a pet store, but ended up being out all day.  I really think we needed it, though, because we have been feeling a little cooped up.  Plus, Eliot got to go on adventures, play with his cousins, and visit his grandparents.

And since it is freezing again, today we've been playing around the house, I got Eliot's room spotless, and plan to finish tidying up the baby's room in preparation for operation steam cleaning and painting, which we'll do over the next couple of weeks.  It feels great to clean these days.  It always does, but I am feeling extra relieved.  Maybe it's nesting or maybe it's just feeling like I've been in transition for months with the move.


No comments:

Post a Comment