Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Second Baby; Second Chances: What Product I'll Buy Differently

I kept everything with Eliot.  Everything.  Even his old, discolored washcloths.  I don't know if we are having a boy or a girl, so I might be needing to buy a whole new wardrode (and with babe being born in the summer, I will still need to buy clothes for different seasons if this is a boy); however, there is so much that I won't need to buy.

In this case, I'm allowing myself to splurge on a few items.  After having one babe, I know what I'd do differently.

Smaller Carseat.  I guess I could just re-use Eliot's carseat (if it hasn't expired--I don't think it has).  I don't have to buy a new one, but his went up to 30 pounds.  And it was sooo heavy.  Call us wusses, but Chris even said he felt like the thing was messing his back up when he'd pull it out of the car.  I thought I was being smart by getting a larger one, but we transitioned Eliot out of the car seat long before he reached the limits of it.  Heck, he still only weigh 25 pounds!  Long and lean...  Anyway, I think we'll buy a Graco 22 (weighs 7 pounds) instead of 30 (weighs over 18 pounds).  This way, we can use the smaller, newer one more often but still have the old one as a back-up for the other car or grandparents or whatever.


Ergobaby!  I'm not completely sure on this one yet, but I think I'd like to get an Ergobaby carrier.  I used a k'tan sling with Eliot.  And I loved it with him as an infant.  It was great!  But when he got bigger, I just wasn't as good at getting it set up for some reason.  And when I carried him on my hip, his leg was really awkward in front of me.  It hurt my back pretty badly, so I stopped using it a bit early.  I hear the Ergobaby carriers (while expensive) are really awesome, so I think I might use the sling with the baby as an infant and then try an Ergo when the baby grows some.


Double stroller.  Strollers are my favorite baby thing to buy.  I don't know why, but I love looking at them.  By some miracle, I used self-control and only bought ONE stroller (our jogger as a shower gift) for Eliot and then later picked up one of those carts that the infant carseat attaches to for $30 for our Disney trip (we got so much use out of this until Eliot was big enough for the jogger!).  I obviously didn't need a double stroller with just Eliot, and I know that some people will say I shouldn't even get one with Eliot because I won't use it.  However, we like to go for walks and there are two parks within a mile of our house.  I really like the idea of the Graco Ready to Grow stroller, which also allows for the older child to sit or stand.  This way, Eliot can try to walk as much as his future 2.5-year-old toddler legs will take him, but then he can hitch a ride like a big boy on the stroller.  This will also be useful for trips to the zoo or a walk on the boardwalk at the beach or provide a place of comfort when we stand around waiting for Daddy to finish one of his early morning races.  If anyone has any experience with this stroller (or a better one?), please let me know!  Eventually, we'll see if Eliot still enjoys the jog stroller and maybe get a double BOB.  ;)

Full-size Swing.  With Eliot, I got a small swing.  It was half the price and more portable.  Win-win, right?  I didn't exactly think about the fact that it would be less powerful and would not swing him when he got larger....  Actually, it never really served as a swing much at all.  It mostly was just a chair.  So many people say that swings are life-savers.  Maybe I'll find one to be helpful this time.

A King-sized Bed.  I've joked frequently that the next time around, I wouldn't buy a crib; I'd buy a king-sized bed.  We might co-sleep again.  We might not.  It all depends on the baby, really.  With Eliot, it made sense and felt necessary for my sanity.  Our next baby could be completely different.  Either way, I've got a crib (shower gift), an arm's reach co-sleeper, a portacrib (second-handed from my sister), and a bed.  Maybe we'll get a king-sized bed.  Doubtful.  :)

So, those are the main things I think we will need want to buy.  I'm sure I can find some of these off of Craigslist (the swing, maybe the Ergo) while others I'd like to buy new (the carseat and stroller).  Either way, my shopping list is a lot shorter this time around!


2 comments:

  1. My double stroller got so much use. With Eliot being so young still, I'm sure you will use it a lot too. Kingston still sits in the stroller from time to time so you'll have plenty of years for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray! That's what I was thinking. Eliot would use the stroller more if we brought it along more. I have an umbrella stroller that my sister gave me, but I just always forget it and the jogger is kind of too big to lug around. My dad has always insisted that Eliot would refuse the stroller as soon as he could walk and that we would never, ever use the jogger (but Eliot loves it!). :) Even though he'll be six months older when the baby comes, I think he'll still use it frequently.

      Delete