Sunday, January 20, 2013

Nesting Part I: Boxes

Since the move, I was able to get the main living area and our bedroom in order.  Eliot's room and the baby's room still had boxes, but looked presentable--OK, so the baby's room had a lot of half-full boxes and did not look presentable.

I feel materialistic saying this, but as I get excited for the baby, I just want to buy things to prepare.  As I said before, there isn't too much to buy.  I have not been stoked about getting the nursery itself together because I'd have to deal with those boxes.  And I didn't know what to do with them.  That's what I really should be focusing on doing, not picking out a double stroller and acquiring more clutter.

Well, the other night, Chris and I looked at eachother and felt bored.  And before I knew it, we were unpacking those last few boxes, moving the crib into the baby's room, storing Eliot's old clothes in the closet (which I will later either go through if it is a boy or sort out the unisex items and give the rest away if it is a girl), and putting the newly-emptied boxes in the recycling bin.  It felt so good to get going.  And now the baby's room and Eliot's room both look way, way worse.  Ha!  That always happens....  I get to organizing and it looks like a huge mess before it gets better.  I am a non-linear cleaner.

Eliot was very interested in helping with the cleaning and putting the crib together.  He'll make such a great big brother.  (By the way, looook at that mess behind us.  About half of it is cleaned up.  I just gotta find a home for these things.  And who wants to sniff blankets and pillows to make sure dumb dogs haven't peed on them?  Not me.  In a new house with two boy dogs that oddly enjoy peeing on plastic bags and boxes--they're so weird--it is an unfortunate reality).

This toddler is hard at work!

But this section of the room looks pretty good so far!


We're getting there and it honestly will probably only take one more cleaning session before we can start "rebuilding".  We need to find a home for the lingering items, steam clean the carpets (dogs.  ugh.), and buy a dresser (not absolutely necessary).  Then we'll have a blank canvas to work with to prepare the nursery.

When I start feeling behind, I remind myself that I didn't even have a crib yet at this point last time.  I'm only 16 and a half weeks!  I'm thinking underwater theme if it is a boy.  If it is a girl, well, I have no idea.  Maybe something floral, but not too girl-y?  Or maybe underwater anyway.  We find out the gender in nine days!

No comments:

Post a Comment