Tuesday, January 29, 2013

18 Weeks

It's hard to believe that in just two weeks, I will be halfway through this pregnancy.  It goes slow at first and then super fast, especially since I have been distracted by Eliot.

The most exciting change since my last update is baby movements!  I thought I was feeling flutters or quickening at 15 weeks and 5 days.  That seemed way too early to me, but they kept on and grew stronger.  Now I know for sure it was that baby.  Chris hasn't felt the baby kick or move yet, but one morning, I could really feel the baby's shape from the outside.  The baby was high and forward and my tummy was hard.  Chris knew exactly what I was talking about when I put his hand on my tummy.


I am very happy that I am no longer feeling sick.  My morning sickness finally stopped about 15 weeks.  I still get those headaches from time to time, but less frequently and less intense.  I was feeling drained and exhausted all the time.  Then I started taking a new prenatal vitamins more strictly and felt much more energized in just a matter of days!  I bet I was deficient in iron--iron is more difficult to come by since I rarely, rarely eat red meat.

As for cravings, I have been wanting elaborate desserts.  Chris always encourages me to indulge, yet these desserts are hard to make at home.  And I'm not sure they even exist.  Plus, I think that I probably should be trying to eat more healthy, beneficial foods.  I generally end up making a smoothie for myself instead, but we have gotten a $1 sundae from McDonalds a couple of times.  I'm not actually eating more than usual, I don't think.  Just that extra smoothie each night (and, really, pregnant ladies don't require that many more calories).  I'm not gaining as much weight as last time (I'm at five pounds, and I gained 23 pounds overall with Eliot), so I think maybe I should try to eat more frequent, healthy snacks throughout the day.  I try to remind myself as well that I'm chasing a toddler this time, so I am constantly on the go, just like him. 

I've been trying to get the house together for Baby.  The nursery is cleaned, the crib set up, and the floors are steam cleaned.  In the coming weeks, we will probably paint the nursery and Eliot's room.  It feels great to get that nursery cleaned out--it was looming over my head for weeks.

Our next biggest challenge will be agreeing on a name.  Chris and I have similar tastes, but there sure is a lot of pressure when naming a kid!  We aim for something not too popular, yet not too weird, yet not too "old," yet not copying anyone else, yet not selecting a name with weird associations, yet meaningful.

p.s. Gender ultrasound is tonight, so I will likely post about that tomorrow morning.  Or!  You can follow me on instagram to get the news about 7:00 pm!  My username is kttherobin, and it is private (I just want to know who is looking at my photos), but I approve anyone who isn't obviously a robot and I'll follow you back.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment