Wednesday, January 30, 2013

It's a Healthy Baby...

After months of guessing, our wait is over.  We had the ultrasound.  And we're having...

another baby boy!

We are so excited.  Just a few seconds into the ultrasound, I knew.  "Do you want to know the gender?"  the lady asked.  "It's a boy, isn't it?" I asked with a laugh.  I am no ultrasound tech, but I recognized that image.  And even though I had been guessing that it was a girl, I felt so overjoyed by this surprise that we are having a baby BOY!

The funny thing is the entire ultrasound experience was almost exactly the same as Eliot's.  The lady joked that our new boy was not shy about showing his gender.  And then she pointed out that the baby's legs were up over his head--just like Eliot.  She said he was practicing breathing and while the baby's arms were mostly covering his face, she did get us a quick 3D image for free and said that the baby has the same nose as Eliot.
These always creep me out, but I do think our boys look similar!

When we told Eliot that he was having a baby brother, he asked, "More cars?"  Exactly!

I almost feel guilty that I thought our son was a girl....  Everything with this pregnancy was different--from my morning sickness to even which side I prefer to sleep on.  All of the old wives' tales lined up to suggest a girl, but I suppose that is why they're old wives' tales to begin with.  I thought it had to mean something, but I guess every pregnancy is different.  And I honestly do wish stores offered more cute boy outfits, but now we're just talking about clothes....  And a life is so much more than headbands and dresses--I can see our family growing together with two boys so clearly.

The other night, I played with dinosaurs with Eliot on the playroom floor.  He made growling noises and then made a shark join the battle.  This is amazing.  I thought to myself.  I was in awe of this little boy and felt so blessed in that moment.  And though I had thought for some time that our baby was most likely a girl, I dreamed of another baby boy.  I dreamed of two boys to play dinosaurs with.  My emotions would ebb and flow as I speculated the gender, but I always came to the same conclusion:  I would be happy either way.


I think sometimes people want one boy and one girl so that they will be different.  The thing is, though, that all people are different.  My sister and I are both girls yet we have always been opposites.  I just hope the whole pushing thing goes the same this time around since I only had to do two sets of pushes and Eliot was out.  That'd be nice again.

Chris and I have already agreed on a first name and are working on a middle name.  We could never figure out a girl name that we both liked.  Girl names are tough for me, and there are countless awesome boy names!

I am excited to see how much this baby boy looks like Eliot and also how he will look different.  I am excited to see our baby boy wear Eliot's old clothes, especially all those newborn sleepers.  I am excited to watch Eliot and his brother grow up with each other, enjoy games together, and even get in fights from time to time.  I can't imagine a more beautiful thing for my Eliot than to have a brother close in age.  Eliot was a beautiful newborn, if I say so myself.  I can't wait to experience a baby boy all over again while my big boy continues to grow.




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! SO exciting! And so nice that you get to reuse all of Eliot's old clothing. :-) I love his response to having a baby brother - so sweet! You will definitely have lots of cars in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo many cars in my future. The boys will be born in opposite seasons, but I'm sure a lot of the clothes will overlap. :) So excited to see my favorite outfits again!

      Delete
  2. when you told me you couldnt think of girl names last week, I started to suspect that maybe it WAS a boy. silly I know, but it was the same with us when we were pregnant with the boys. None of the girl names felt right. I'm so happy for you guys. Another little boy is going to fit perfectly in your little family. And yes, lets go get ice cream! For the babies of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have suspected too! It wasn't until a couple days out that we both looked at each other and said, "I kind of think it is a boy now for some reason...." We couldn't come up with a good girl name the first time either, but picked out Eliot Thomas as a possibility the week we found out we were pregnant. With boy names, Chris is always like, "That's great! Let's add it to the list and keep thinking!" For my girl suggestions, he always gets quiet and says nah. And I'd do the same to him. Ha.

      Delete