Thursday, January 10, 2013

Dear Eliot: 23 Months

I just realized that I never posted this!  Ahhh!  So late!

Dear Eliot,

We have had a big month--and you have put up with a lot from us!  We've watched a lot of tv, bored you a lot, and went to a lot of meetings to sign papers.  Yes, little buddy, we're packing up the house and moving tomorrow.


Since we've been so busy, we haven't enjoyed many Christmas traditions.  I haven't taken any "real" photos since Thanksgiving.  However, you have been patient with us and go along for the ride anyway.  I promise life will get more exciting again soon.  Christmas is coming up and then your birthday!  I promise to be a more fun person very soon.

This month, you have been teaching me all about how grown you are.  You are asserting your independence, and I am learning how to compensate for your big-boy-ness by allowing you new freedom with appropriate supervision.  For example, you do not do high chairs anymore.  You scream at the restaurants, so it is a booster seat or nothin'.  Of course, you move around a lot more, which is frustrating at times, but we're working on manners.  At home, you also throw a fit over your high chair.  And since us lazy bones usually eat dinner in the den, we're working on a good place for you to sit.  Sometimes it is on the floor on a towel.  Sometimes you run around like Helen Keller and take little bites from your bowl. 


When we move, I might look into getting you a little kid's table and chairs for eating and art.  You love coloring on moving boxes.

I love creating with you.  You recently picked up a harmonica and, man, you figured it out so quickly.  When I brought out my guitar, it was like you were really playing along with me.


You've been all about the iPad for a while.  In fact, that is how we managed to get you to smile for your 18 month portraits.  Now, though, you are doing quite advanced things with it.  You find the games you want and put together complex puzzles.  You shout, "iPad!  Truck puzzle!  Car game!"  You have a different name for each game.

Sometimes when I see photos of little babies, I have to remind myself that you aren't that small anymore.  In my mind, you're still little (even though you are much more than three feet tall).  I can't believe that you are far from being an infant and those days are long gone.  One day, I will have to remind myself that you are much older than two.



No comments:

Post a Comment