Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Second Baby; Second Chances: The Hospital Bag

I've been getting painful contractions every now and then.  They last a minute or so and are close together, but they don't progress enough to be "real".  With four to five weeks left, I'm not very worried about going into early labor (or even labor on my own) with Jack based on both my medical past and family history, but for peace of mind I plan to get our hospital bag kind of together this week.

I was all kinds of nervous about everything with Eliot, including the simple act of packing a hospital bag.  Perhaps my worries of the unknown with giving birth for the first time were being expressed by my desire to "get right" what I could control.  And that was the contents of my hospital bag.

I totally overpacked.

And when my doctor said, "You're going to the hospital for an emergency induction.  Don't even go home.  Don't even go get your bag.  Go straight to the hospital.  Go.  RIGHT NOW!"  Well, that made me realize how little "control" that bag actually symbolized.  At the time, we lived a mile from the hospital, so my doctor then said it was fine to stop by the house real quick, but we should hurry.

In my first bag, I included items that seem silly now, like a bathing suit (hey, they kept saying during our hospital tour how awesome birthing pools are!) and a curling iron.  I wanted to look my best for all of these important pictures, but I didn't even shower until the morning we left.  Next time, I'll shower earlier because it makes you feel so much better, but I felt like I couldn't pry myself away.  Also, some people suggest bringing movies, which could work, I suppose.  Chris brought The OC.  Really, though, he was so captivated by Eliot that Marissa shooting Trey seemed irrelevant.  Instead, he watched football at one point while cuddling with Eliot.

I also left out some important items.  I didn't have a nightgown for the hospital, so I felt strapped to the bed (I didn't want everyone to see my bare backside in the hospital gown and for some reason didn't put on two like they suggest!).  I didn't have nursing pads for my bra (I had been too embarrassed to buy them).  And I didn't have back-up batteries for our camera's flash, which promptly died.  I didn't bring Eliot mittens because I didn't realize how much he'd be scratching his face.

So, this time around, I have new hospital bag plans:

For mom, nightgown (I actually got a little dress on sale from Old Navy because I couldn't find a good nightgown), nursing bra, nursing pads, socks, going home outfit (sweatpants and a tee-shirt for me), deodorant, a hair tie or two, toothbrush and toothpaste, soap and shampoo if the hospital does not supply them.

For dad, a couple of tee-shirts and a pair of pants, deodorant, shared soap and shampoo.

For baby, a photo outfit, a going home outfit, mittens (2), socks (2), baby hat (2), shoes, boppy, carseat, baby blanket, swaddling blanket (2 or 3), burp cloths (2 or 3).

For everyone, cell phones and charger, laptop and charger, camera with extra batteries, camera memory card reader, some snacks (like cereal bars).

The hospital generally provides diapers, wipes, a hat, receiving blankets, and white onesies, so much of these items are optional, non-essential, and for fun.  I mean, you don't even need underwear (because you won't be wearing your underwear anyway).  If you forget something, Dad can swing by the house or someone else can easily pick it up for you.  No reason to fret over the hospital bag--just bring the essentials.

No comments:

Post a Comment