Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Williamsburg!

I'm watching Eliot dig his three little teeth into an apple.  It is just too adorable.

We're almost back from our Williamsburg trip.  Just stopping over in Chesapeake to get "the dogs".  We stayed in a nice hotel across the street from William and Mary.  We were pretty much as close to Colonial Williamsburg as we could get without staying at a bed and breakfast.  The three of us were able to share a king-sized and we loved it.  I had never slept in one!  After we came back, my parents asked how in the world we managed to sleep with two dachshunds and a baby (those dachshunds are wigglers all night long), and the truth is that we have considered kicking the dachshunds out lately.  Like cruel owners, we have thought of buying them comfy dog beds to use at night, banishing them from our bed.  They would have to sleep on the floor.  But that is just talk.  Anyway.  If you were to ask Eliot what his favorite part of Williamsburg was, he'd undoubtedly say the headboard.  I fought so hard to keep him from standing at the headboard and re-arranging the picture frames.  He seemed to think they were constantly crooked.

After we grabbed some lunch and checked in, we took a walk to Colonial Williamsburg.  While in Woodbridge a couple of weeks ago, I left his umbrella stroller (oops!) and also forgot his sling at home (ah!), so he spent a lot of time of Christopher's shoulders, which was simply too cute.

To be honest, part of our original plan for visiting Williamsburg wasn't just for fun.  We've been trying to think of the best place to live in order to be closer to family.  We thought maybe Williamsburg could be a good middle ground since it is right in between both my parents and Christopher's parents.  Close enough for a day trip.  However, after looking at a few houses of interest, I think Williamsburg is a beautiful area, but more of a place to visit.  I can't see us living there.  And Christopher agrees, so I think that might off of our list.

The next morning, Chris attended an e-conference.  Then we checked out, had some breakfast, and walked back to Colonial Williamsburg.

From there, we headed to Chesapeake for the dogs.  We played with Eliot's cousins some and got sushi for dinner.  We'll be off to Lynchburg in the morning.  I'm glad we went to Williamsburg.  It was nice to celebrate the end of B-term and the beginning of my dissertation.  It was nice to get out of town.  Williamsburg was always a place to vacation for both Christopher and me growing up.  My parents actually own a timeshare there.  I don't know if it is the right "compromise" for us as for a place to live, though.  I love our home in Lynchburg.  It was the right place for us for a while.  It might still be.  Or it might be time to "come home" in some ways.  We'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment