Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Order and Babyproofing

I hate to seem materialistic.  Whenever I get excited about buying something, I always feel a little disappointed in myself.  I don't want to be the kind of person who needs "things"--because so many things we don't need.  When our media center/tv cabinet/whatever you want to call it came today, I was thrilled.  I immediately reprimanded myself for being such a consumer.  Then I realized that it wasn't the thing that I was happy about--it was finding order, organization, and taking another step to babyproof.

Eliot in front of the old cabinet.
Our old piece of furniture was open, clutter, messy, and dangerous for Eliot.  The cords were such a mess in the back that I'm not sure how we didn't have some crazy electrical fire.  I had taken the doors off (because they were broken) so the edges were more sharp.  Eliot hurt himself on it multiple times no matter how well I watched him.  We almost had a serious situation last night, but I grabbed Eliot by his cheeks just as he came tumbling down.  He was trying to climb over his walker because he recently discovered that he can knock it over to play with the wheels.

Now we have a more clean set up.  It is safer.  The record player sits nicely in the center space.  And I don't feel guilty about being excited for that.

Eliot and Neko approve

No comments:

Post a Comment