Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Just a Few Things

Just a few things on my heart.

.Whether he likes it or not, Chris generally hears all about my dreams each morning.  Usually, they are strange nightmares and Chris asks where in the world I come up with this stuff (I don't know!).  When Eliot wakes up, he sleepily mutters a few words, and I like to think that he is telling me about his dreams.  Today, it was "Alligator.  Oh no!  Alligator."  I hate to think that he is having nightmares too about an alligator, but he doesn't seem bothered.


.We have settled on a new bedtime routine.  Eliot doesn't calm down when he is tired--he goes more crazy and acts hyper, but he is quite clumsy and then whines a lot.  However, he won't sleep either.  He enters this mode about two hours before bedtime, so instead of running around the house with him, I've started watching a kid's movie (his choice) in bed with him around 8:00 pm.  Chris can get some quiet time to himself; I can generally do simple work like grading or light researching (no heavy writing); Eliot is content.  I don't even have to finish the movie.  At 9:00 pm, it's big boy bed time, and he doesn't even protest me turning the movie off much.

.Lately, Eliot has started asking, "Take pictures?"  He loves to take my phone around the house and snap little photos.  It is funny to see the world through his perspective.  And he's actually pretty good at it.  I hope to encourage him to pursue art in all forms as he grows older.  Art is what makes us human.  He is so interested in many modes of expression, like drawing, photography, and trying to make music with his harmonica and piano.

.This morning, Eliot brought two cars and asked, "Baby Jack?"  I thought he was saying "baby that" for a moment until I saw the cars.  He wanted to play cars on my tummy again.  I know I've written about this so many times, but I think it is the sweetest thing and love that he does it unprompted.  The only thing is that I would prefer he not demand to put the cars on my bare tummy.  Can't they just drive on my shirtttt?

.I'm now at 21 weeks, which means 19 remain.  That sounds like a lot.  And maybe it is.  I'm trying to savor this time, though, because the second trimester is my favorite.  I'm so excited to meet our Jack and start making memories as a family of four (wow!).  I can't wait to take his photographs.  Is that something most moms look forward to as in one of the top things they most look forward to?  Well, that is one of the many things I am dreaming of.  I don't think I have many "real" photos of me pregnant (just Instagram), so I need to get on that.  I had been waiting until I was showing more.  We're there now!  Maybe we'll find a sunny day and take some photos soon.  Since this very well might be my last pregnancy, I am trying to hold on to every second.

.It is hard to find the right schedule for digging deep into the Bible and journaling my prayers.  I generally wake up two hours before everyone else, but Eliot holds me tight (he crawls in bed with us each morning).  And I can't write with a pen in Eliot's sight--he demands to draw with it and hunts me down if I go in another room.  So, I downloaded a devotional app for my phone, which I have been reading each morning.  Chris has been reading this book below about the early church and reporting all of the interesting facts to me.  There is always more to give to God, but I am trying and I feel like beginning my morning in the Word (no matter how lightly) is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment