Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dressing a Boy Like Myself

Everyone always talks about how girls are so much more fun to dress.  And I do feel a little grumbly when clothes shopping for my boys because the girls' section is so much larger at most stores.  However, I have a lot of fun dressing Eliot and picking out clothes for Jack too (even though I have only bought him a couple of things).

And then I realized something....  I am dressing Eliot in clothes that I would have worn in high school.  That might sound kind of odd coming from a girl, but in high school, I had trouble finding clothes to fit, so most of my favorite clothes came from the little boys' section at thrift stores.  It was my wear-a-bunch-of-bracelets, graphic and vintage tee-shirt, studded belt, punk phase.  For fun, I thought I'd compare myself in high school (mostly ages 15 and 16) to clothes I have picked out for Eliot.

Most of these photos of highschool Katie were taken by me, so they're not the most flattering.  I was always the one among our friends with the camera, so if I wanted a photo of myself, I usually was pulling a "Myspace".

Here is Eliot in your typical little boy's tee shirt with white and blue stripes.  So cute.  Think I can pull it off?  I sure tried.




Eliot in a fancy blue plaid button-down.  And on mom?  I'm pretty sure mine was not from the girl's section.


Eliot is wearing a navy and red "rugby" sweater.  I had a polo that matched.  It was my absolute favorite shirt for a long time.



I loved this polo on Eliot last summer.  I would have killedddd for a find like that in a thrift store.  Instead I wore these two little boy polos--you know, before it was "cool" to wear two collared shirts at once.

I had more examples, but I am kind of embarrassing myself.  Fortunately, my clothes selection has grown and I shop at Target and H&M.  And I must say, I think Eliot looks a lot better in boy clothes than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment