Friday, February 15, 2013

20 Weeks

I have so been looking forward to saying that I am half-way through this pregnancy that it feels like I should have been at 20 weeks a while ago!  After the dust of the first trimester settles, I really do enjoy being pregnant.  Sure, picking out clothes becomes more of a challenge, but I loved being pregnant with Eliot and also am thankful to experience carrying this baby as well.
I'm not thrilled with myself in this photo, but I thought Eliot was funny.


I had my 20-week appointment on Tuesday.  They said I gained five pounds since last month, but I think they need to check their math.  I weighed 106 on Tuesday and 103 at the previous appointment.  That is looking more like three pounds to me, but they were fine with it, so whatever.  Anyway, we also had an ultrasound!  Everything looks great and the lady double-confirmed that Babe is definitely a boy.  I was a little worried that I'd feel silly for getting the extra ultrasound at 18 weeks since we'd just find out two weeks later, but I'm so glad we did.  Prenatal imaging is more of a family-friendly place and really concentrated on showing us the baby while the doctor's office ultrasound was more of a medical procedure (which is to be expected).  Also, Babe's legs were crossed at the 20-week ultrasound, so she was only able to get a glimpse.  Not to mention that we have a video from our 18-week ultrasound and a 3D image.  So, yeah, I don't regret it at all.

At my doctor's appointment, the nurse made it a point to tell me that since I am half-way, it is pretty much downhill from here since the second half of pregnancy is harder than the first.  What?  Way to be encouraging.  Who says stuff like that?  But I'm not worried because, uh, I've done this before, and I'm pretty sure the first 15 weeks of being sick and starving and unable to eat were a bit worse than what is to come.  I do know I'll continue to grow more uncomfortable, but I'd say it's just the last month that is rather difficult (the false alarms, everyone saying "any day now" when you really have weeks left, the anxiety about giving birth, the discomfort, the contractions that don't go anywhere,  the heartburn, how painful those baby kicks grow...  I know it gets rough--I remember--but I think I prefer the second half of pregnancy).  Sorry for the rant.  I just hate it when people (especially those who are supposed to be supportive) are so unhelpfully negative.  Of course, this was after the nurse did a double-take when I approached her after she called my name and then looked puzzled while looking up my information.  "You're 26?"  Um, yes.  She likely thought I was a teen mom--and what if I were?

I'm feeling pretty OK these days.  Headaches are lessening....  My food aversions are mostly gone and my energy level is good enough.  I am back to cleaning a lot and cooking, which I hated to take a break from in the beginning--I was just so tired before and hated all food.  About a week ago, I was having some intense pains, but I am certain I was just growing.  I'm also getting a twinge of heartburn every night lately no matter what I eat.


The baby is moving more and more.  Chris has been able to feel the baby move, which makes me so happy.  And Babe weighed 11 ounces at our appointment.  Everything is right on track!

Since finding out the gender, I feel like we should get going with everything baby-wise.  Then I try to remind myself that we have so much time left.  It is crazy that we just announced our pregnancy eight weeks ago.  Chris and my mom (and Eliot) painted both the baby's room and Eliot's room a blue-ish grey.  The room will be all set before we know it!  By the way, the nursery nooo longer smells like dog, which is awesome.  We did have to baby gate it off because Eliot and the dogs were having too much fun.  The dogs wanted to eat things and Eliot wanted to draw on the walls.  And Eliot loved playing with the new double stroller so much that he cracked some of the molding around the closet door!  Yikes!  We'll make it presentable somehow, but Eliot and the dogs are banished for now.


Eliot has really grown to understand the baby more, I think.  Maybe it is because I am showing more or maybe we have been talking about the baby more to him since we know it is a boy.  He likes to play with cars on my tummy.  He puts his hand on my tummy and says, "Baby brother."  And today he was hugging and kissing my belly.  Eliot loves all things "baby"--like, he prefers looking at the baby turtles at the aquarium opposed to the adult turtles--so I'm hoping we'll have as smooth of an adjustment as possible.
So, everything is continuing to go well and I am so thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment