Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A [Slightly] Bloody Mother's Day and Hate For Chocolate

It has been an eventful few days as we get ready for the end of the spring semester and also the beginning of summer school.  I've been mostly attached to my computer and phone to stay in contact with faculty members and students, but we've still had time for some fun.

For Mother's Day, Chris offered to take me out to eat, but it just didn't seem practical.  I knew it'd be packed and Eliot isn't all about long waits anymore.  He is good at restaurants to a degree, but when he is done, that is it.  Instead, we enjoyed the flowers Christopher bought me and reflected on life plans.  Then we went to Toys'R'Us to buy Eliot a sandbox.  He loved the train table, so I think we'll buy in one in a handful of months.  Maybe Christmas.  Maybe September.


Afterward, we went to Best Buy.  We didn't get anything.  Except for glass in my foot.  Yes, all of the sudden, I felt a sharp pain in my heel, like I had stepped on glass.  I don't think Chris believed me all the way.  I mean, I was wearing shoes.  I hobbled back to the car, took off my shoe, and found my foot gushing with blood.  Eek!  And I couldn't just pull it out.  I told Chris I'd be fine until we got home, but he wouldn't hear it.  He went by Target to buy tweezers, band-aids, and something to clean the cut with.  While Chris was in Target, I was able to get in touch with my mom to wish her a happy Mother's Day.  And then Chris pulled that glass sucker out!  It wasn't horrible, but very strange.  I was wearing flats, so I know it is possible for a small piece of glass to fall in and make its way to my heel, but it seems unlikely.  What are the odds?

On to our house where we put together the sandbox for Eliot.  He loves it, but is having too much fun throwing the sand out into the yard.  Gah.  He'll learn, I suppose.  Eliot took a nap and then Stephanie came over for a walk and smoothie time.

Today, we met Chris's dad for dinner.  He is in town for a pastor's conference at TRBC.  Eliot was happy to see him and share dinner.  I think Eliot is the funniest little thing with food.  I am one of a small group of women who don't really like chocolate.  Sure, chocolate with something else (say, the chocolate on a Snicker's bar) is pretty good, but I'm not crazy about chocolate--and especially not by itself.  When I gave Eliot a piece of fudge for dessert with sprinkles, he made the worst face.  And then he picked the sprinkles off to eat.  Just like momma.  I love it!

Maybe all mothers feel this way.  Maybe just some do.  All day on Mother's Day, I felt so thankful for our little family, like I should be celebrating all of us together and showering Eliot with presents for being an awesome son instead of expecting any appreciation or thanks for my efforts in my role.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I just happened upon this entry in your blog after I looked through your 5th anniversary photos (which are fabulous)! I know Chris and his parents from when we were all at Messiah UMC. (We're not there any longer either.) Anyway, it is delightful to read your experiences with motherhood. There is no doubt that you are a wonderful mother, and I am praising God that you and Chris are together. I know you are a blessing to Chris and his parents. As we still live in Chesapeake, I do look forward to meeting you if you move back to this area. God's blessings, Sherry Ayres

    ReplyDelete