Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chesapeake Weekend Pt. II

Saturday was the busiest day we have had in a long, long time.  I wasn't quite sure how Eliot was going to make it through all the way, but he did somehow!

We got up kind of early.   6:20 am.  Eliot usually wakes up between 7:00 am and 8:30 am, so not too terribly early for him.  Chris, my mom, Eliot, and I drove to downtown Portsmouth for the Elizabeth River 10k.  Chris was running and then Eliot would do a 100 yard dash.  Off Chris went at 8:05 am!  My mom and I walked to different places on the course to cheer him on.  In the mean time, we met a lot of dogs and Eliot pulled a tree branch around that had fallen.  Chris did a great job!  It is something like 6.2 miles and he averaged under 8:30 for each mile!  I couldn't do that for one mile, let alone over six!
While we waited for the kids' race to start an hour after Chris finished, we got Eliot a monkey balloon, which he didn't like, then loved, then popped, then threw away.  It works!

At 10:00 am, it was time for the kids' race.  First, they let the one- and two-year-old group run, which Eliot was in.  He was pretty obviously the youngest, and Chris was allowed to hold his hands to keep him on track.  He came in second place!  Out of three.  Ha!  I know this all seems silly (and it is), but we were not doing this to showcase his ability or anything--just for pictures, the tee-shirt, and to say he ran his first race at the age of one.
We went back to my parents' house and put Eliot to bed as soon as I could.  My niece's birthday party was coming up in a few hours.  Eliot refused to nap for a long time, acting all energetic, but I knew he was doing his "I'm so tired, I'm hyper" thing.  Eventually, he went to sleep for about an hour.

Around 3:00 pm, the party got going.  Eliot tried to throw all of the sand in the pool (and failed) along with the two sandy toy trucks (and succeeded three times).  Sydney, my niece, seemed to have a good time playing in the pool.  I can't believe she is six.  It was so hard to transition from thinking of her as a baby to then accepting her as a kid.  I think I finally let go that she wasn't a baby anymore when she made it to three.  Ha.  If Eliot were turning six (or even three), I'd have a total meltdown, but Chelse seems to enjoy Sydney being older.
Eliot took a second nap when Sydney was opening presents.  The rest of the evening went by fast and Eliot was ready for bed at 9:20 pm.  How does he do it?  I don't know, but ever since, he has been going to bed at 7:00 pm, which is just craziness for him.  I think he is still trying to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment