Friday, April 20, 2012

And He Fell Out of the Crib

We have been happily co-sleeping with Eliot since he was born (which I have written about before) since he would wake up to breastfeed every hour and a half through six months.  People have been suggesting since the beginning that we just needed to let him cry it out in his crib, but it didn't seem right at the time.  While mildly inconvenient at times, I have loved co-sleeping with Eliot.  And as long as the three of us were resting well and happy, it wasn't really a problem, right?  Those mornings when I wake up to my sleeping husband and son are some of the sweetest memories I have with Eliot.

Eliot's napping has been a little difficult lately.  He is probably transitioning to one nap (opposed to two), but it is frustrating when he looks exhausted with all the right signs (his usual nap time, rubbing his eyes, yawning, laying on the ground cuddled up with a pillow) but he won't sleeeep.  So, yesterday afternoon, we put him in his crib and let him cry for thirty minutes.  It didn't go over well.

Last night, I thought we'd give it another try.  I gave him his night-time milk in his crib, took the bottle when he was finished, gave him a paci, and shut the door.  After five minutes of screaming, he heard the thump.  And then thump-thump-thump.  He fell out of the crib.  We scooped him up laughing and he continued to scream until we were both holding him at the same time.

I have tried getting him used to his crib by seeing it as a "safe" place.  I play with him in it.  He pets the cat in it.

I'm probably doing this wrong because I'm not entirely committed to letting him cry it out.  And it is something I should do after thinking all of the details through, not just out of frustration like I did for his afternoon nap.

Here's the thing with sleep.  It's not black and white.  We don't all sleep the same way.  When I was young, I hated to sleep alone.  I used to share a bed with my sister for a long time.  I remember her bedtime being extended to 8:30 pm and being mortified.  It wasn't that I wanted to stay up longer, but I didn't want to go to bed alone.  When I grew older and slept in my own bed, I would lay awake at night, my eyes darting around.  Even when I came home from college on weekends, I'd feel uncomfortable in my bed at home, like someone was staring at me.  My parents' house is creep-y.

Whether or not Eliot's fear (or frustration or dislike or whatever you want to call it) of being alone in his crib is founded, it is real to him.  I understand how he feels.  And while Eliot should confront his fears and be independent, I don't want him to feel hopeless, helpless, and alone. When children feel supported, they are more confident to step out on their own.

So, I'm not saying cry it out is inherently wrong.  I'm not even saying that we won't try it with Eliot at some point.  Eliot will sleep in his bed when he is ready.  Now just isn't that time.

4 comments:

  1. I think going from co-sleeping to all the sudden being left to cry would be scary and confusing. Thats not what "crying it out" means to me. But unfortunately thats what a lot of people just assume when they hear babywise. I think thats why it gets a bad rep. For us, it was a gradual thing, and all the things we worked on up to the point that crying it out was needed made it a quick and simple process.

    There would be times I would go back in kingston's room if he were standing and crying and lay him back down...sometimes I'd do this ten times. Letting he know he wasn't being left alone, but that it was time for bed.
    I think your right that everyone sleeps different, because I know my two do. I did it with Kingston one way for a while, then there were months when he was in a toddler bed, that I would rock him to sleep.

    I think consistency is the main thing. Could you sit next to the crib at the same time every day and wait for him to fall asleep? Could he fall asleep in your bed, then move him to his? Just some ideas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lesley! I really, really appreciate those ideas because some people simply say, "You've started a bad habit. Put him in his room, shut the door, and walk away. It'll be harder for you than him." That really belittles the issue (that I don't even think is a problem) without offering realistic advice.

      Putting him alone in his room without a transition wasn't a good idea on my part. Honestly, I was frustrated after trying to get him to nap for over an hour and a half. And he was throwing a big fit crying since he was exhausted. He had never thrown a fit like that before. It was a moment of weakness on my part not to think it all through. And there isn't an excuse for that.

      Anyway, I have tried some of those ideas, but I haven't been consistent. I'd try a few times and quit because in all honesty I need to work during that nap time. The last thing I want when I've gotten him to sleep is to work at something that will take longer. Again, that is my own fault for giving up so quickly and being short-sighted. So, I need more consistency and persistence. I've come up with a gradual plan that will take about three weeks. If it works, great. If not, I will know that I tried and will try again in a few months. And we enjoy having him in our bed anyway, so that just buys me more cuddling time. :)

      Delete
  2. I think that sounds perfect. Setting aside a certain amount of time to work at a goal. I don't know why people are concerned about where your baby sleeps, if it's not keeping them up at night. No matter what way you do it, someone will disagree. You and I might do things differently, but I see you as a mom doing what she knows is best for her baby and family, so ultimately it's for the same goal :)

    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a lot of type-A personalities in my life. ;) They can't help themselves.

      Delete