Friday, April 20, 2012

Hollins Mill and a Sleeping Plan

We went to Hollins Mill today!  We were going to go to a park, but Eliot loves to run around and hit things with sticks so much that we figured an open area to play would be even better.

This little boy loves his dad lately.  Everything Christopher does is better, more interesting, and much more fun than anything I can pull off.  I'm there for comfort and food only.  That's fine.  I love seeing my boys enjoying each other.
See what I mean?  "No time for kisses, Mom.  I have a stick and I want to hit something with it."

Or play in the dirt.

Eliot was mesmerized by the water.  Me too!  There is something hypnotizing about it.  And Eliot still had that stick with him.

As he grew tired and less adventuresome, he came to me to ask to be held.

It felt great to get outside, watch Eliot run around, and take photos.  I really enjoy the portability of the camera on my iphone and being able to use Instagram, but I am finding that I take less "real" photos.  This is something I have been trying to avoid.  So, it was great to get some nice shots of us.

In regards to my previous post about sleep, I have developed a plan to "wean" Eliot over to his crib.  I am honestly in no hurry to get him out of our bed.  We're all happy together.  And I let my dogs sleep in my bed, so why would I not let my son?  Anyway, I'll give this plan a try, and if it doesn't work, I'll wait a few months and try again.

Week one:  Eliot and I will have some play and rest time in the crib every day.   We'll read in his crib, play with toys, and point out the animals on his sheets.  This will hopefully help loosen any negative associations with the crib.
Week two:  We will continue play and rest time in the crib.  In addition to this, I will lay with him in his bed while he naps and also some until he falls asleep at night.  I've tried this before and he wakes up 10 minutes after I leave.  If he wakes up, I'll try to soothe him to sleep.
Week three:  When it is nap or bedtime, I will try to soothe him to sleep and sit by his bed.

It won't be easy.  It will actually be exhausting.  But, I suppose it is worth a shot to try to be more consistent and persistent.


No comments:

Post a Comment