Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Boxes and Bats

There are boxes in every room.  I have been trying pack things up lately without too much success.  I have gone through a lot of Eliot's clothes and boxed up his old ones.  I even boxed up his 12 month sweaters.  Already?  Yeah, I know.  But the weather is so warm that he doesn't really need them anymore.

I feel a little less emotional about specific outfits and clothes with Eliot as he grows older.  I remember when Eliot grew out of his newborn-size dinosaur sleeper.  I was so sad.  I think those first, newborn sleepers have something special about them.

The packing makes me frustrated in the sense that I don't know how it will all get it done.  I don't even know how to begin prioritizing.  We have so much more than when we moved here.  And we've already sent a lot of boxes home with my parents.  It'll get done, though, and we won't be moving until July anyway.  Our first out-of-town move since we came to Lynchburg--and Farmville to Lynchburg was just one hour's drive and a two-bedroom apartment.  Hopefully this will be our last move too.

I am happy to say, though, that Chris and I feel content.  We have spurts of "I can't wait to get down there and enjoy the summer!" but we're also drinking in all that is Lynchburg.  As the sun set, I held Eliot in the backyard.  I pointed to the sky.  "Star!"  "Ar?"  "Yes!  Star!"  Bats swooped east toward the James River, probably chasing insects.  I would point to them and say, "Look, look, look!  Bat!"  Eliot would point too and say, "Ooo!" and "At!"  I assured him that they would come back again--and they did.  I remember sitting in the backyard with Chris when we first moved into this house.  We would watch the bats.  They're such a wonder and seem so special.  I love sharing these little bits with my son.  As cliche as it sounds, we can't box up these days and special evenings, so I keep these photographs close to my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Did I miss a post about you moving? Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've mentioned it here and there, but no big official announcement. I think we're always worried about changing our minds, so I didn't make a main post about it. This is for real though. Met with a realtor today. Hopefully getting a virtual tour made Friday. House goes up for sale April 1. And if it was unclear, we're moving back to Chesapeake. We can't close until July, though. :)

      Delete