Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Thankful Under Rain Clouds

The weather has been ghastly and I am left questioning--what is the point of wind?  Other than to make bearably cold days miserable?  We've tried to have some little adventures since getting home, but it's these little things that make me happiest.

Our aquarium membership.  Maybe this isn't that little, but I am so thankful that we can go to the aquarium over and over.  Eliot loves animals, especially sea creatures, so our aquarium membership gives us something to do on cold, windy days.  For some reason, Eliot had been acting afraid the last few times we went (I think it was a game), but he was so happy to run around and talk to the turtles, sharks, fish, and rays.  One of his favorite movies is Finding Nemo, and sometimes he calls sharks "Bruce," which I think is hilarious.

At 23 weeks, my belly has exploded.  I'm still weighing the same as my 20-week doctor's appointment (10 pounds gained so far), so it sure is interesting how weight moves around.

Last night, Chris watched Eliot so I could go see my niece's first grade production at school.  I can't believe how fast that little baby has grown!  She had a speaking role and did a great job.

Being back home means getting back into meal planning and trips to the grocery store.  I hadn't been to the grocery store for more than one item since before Eliot's birthday in January!  No joke!  I mean, I did get some groceries here and there on Target trips, but overall the grocery store has been Chris's thing--and I'm so thankful that he is always willing to go get anything I ask for.  This week, though, Chris and I went to the store together and made up this menu on the spot.  I haven't always been very good at planning a menu, but after a year of making a big effort, we've managed to piece together some generic, fast, toddler-friendly meals that we rotate.  This is a typical menu for us (nothing too exciting), but it is all vegetarian with fresh ingredients, requiring only 15 minutes of prep, and foods that Eliot will eat.  Also, I try to only do one dinner with soy products a week.  If by chance Eliot won't eat what we eat, I usually throw together a peanut butter sandwich, toss him an apple, and make him a green smoothie later.

Eliot has been a bit of a terror today, but we've laughed it off.  He's just whiny and can't be satisfied.  Maybe it's the weather.  Maybe he doesn't feel well.  We've had fun framing up Chris's childhood basketball posters that will go in the garage, bought some local, free-range eggs, and cuddled in bed while watching a movie.  Of course, Chris and I had work in between as well, which is enjoyable in its own way.

I'm looking forward to spring, but hanging in there in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment