Friday, March 22, 2013

Style Attempts: Maternity Ed. 3. Bags

I'm not all that girl-y.  I'm not super into bags or purses, but I used to get excited to buy one new purse a year.  I don't really care about expensive brands, like Coach, but instead like "old granny" purses from Urban Outfitters or simple bags from Target.  I felt like I was indulging if I spent $40 on a bag.

When Eliot came around, I didn't want to get a really "baby"-looking diaper bag.  I mean, I didn't care if it looked like a diaper bag, but I didn't want one with pastel blue or teddy bears.  I picked out a simple, dark green bag online for about $15.  It worked, but I didn't love it.

I discovered Petunia Pickle Bottom.  They have the most gorgeous purses and diaper bags with beautiful patterns.  I drooled over these bags, but at $129, I had never spent that kind of money on a purse.  For my birthday that year, Chris really spoiled me.  He gave me the most expensive ($129), beautiful diaper bag I had ever seen.  I loved it!  My previous diaper bag became our "beach bag".
Prettiest bag ever, right?

The diaper bag had plenty of pockets and space so I could bring all of the essentials for Eliot and then some (sometimes I even carried along our clunky DSLR camera).  I was always getting compliments on my bag and it made a great accessory.  Let's be honest, though.  If you are using one bag every day with a child, eventually it is going to start showing some wear.  When Jack comes in July, my bag will be two years old.  That's pretty good for a bag, I think!

Chris offered to buy me a new Petunia Pickle Bottom bag for Christmas, but I said I wanted to wait.  I wanted to get a more spring-y pattern this time and figured it would be better to wait until my birthday in the summer.  I am using a diaper bag less anyway--I usually just put my wallet in my pocket and toss a diaper and wipes in the car.  If I am going somewhere for a while, I put some snacks in a tote bag.  Maybe it could be a "Jack is here!" present too.

If I could have two bags, I totally would get a new Petunia Pickle Bottom bag, but I decided to try something different this time.  With two little ones, I think I might need access to both of my hips more frequently, so I'm hoping to get something with a more messenger bag feel.  I actually came across Maranda Lee's Etsy shop when I was pregnant with Eliot, but the bag I liked sold out before I bought it--and I was feeling super cheap since we had to buy so many baby things.  These diaper bags (and purses) come in size options, including small, medium, and large, and start as low as $68 for the small diaper bag.  I'll probably look into a medium one because I don't need something too big (and I am small myself).  I love the fabric options, the pockets, and how it doesn't necessarily look like a diaper bag (you know, pastel blue with teddy bears).

I haven't gotten a new bag in so long, but I think I'm just going to wait so I can savor the excitement closer to when Jack comes.  And Petunia Pickle Bottom sells Ergo carriers with amazing patterns, so maybe I'll get one of those since I was planning to use an Ergo carrier this time.  Sometimes I feel silly oogling over baby things, but I rarely buy nice things for myself, so maybe it is OK to indulge in a few new, possibly expensive baby items with a new little one on the way, especially since we've had so little to buy for Jack since we are re-using so much from Eliot.  Three and a half more months til Jack gets here!  Can't waittt!


No comments:

Post a Comment