Saturday, August 31, 2013

Breastfeeding Month

I had read that August is "breastfeeding month," and since tomorrow begins a new month--Wait, did I pay the bills that are due on the first?  Yes, yes, I did.  OK...--I thought I'd reflect on my experiences lately.

I knew from the start that I wanted to make an effort to nurse for six months.  When I was pregnant with Eliot, I was terrified of breastfeeding for some reason.  There seemed to be so much involved.  Chris even bought me a book on breastfeeding to help chill.me.out when I was pregnant, and, really, it came so easy and naturally that I wondered why I ever even worried.

I nursed Eliot for six and a half months.  At six months, I had a week-long class, and though I pumped while away from Eliot, it just wasn't enough.  My supply diminished and it got to the point that I was only nursing at night.  Six months was my big goal anyway, so I weaned him.  I was afraid I'd be sad when it ended (because once it is done, it's over).  However, Eliot and I both were happy and I didn't feel sad at all.  Seriously, though, I am amazed by working mothers who are able to pump enough for their babies while they are away.  That's amazing.  Simply put, pumping sucks.

With Jack, nursing also came easy.  He loves to eat and eats frequently.  He gains weight just as he should.  Then Jack started doing something that Eliot never did--he started sleeping for long stretches at night.  He has slept for eight hours for two nights now.  It isn't uncommon for him to sleep for six hours before his first feeding.  And he usually sleeps for at least four hours before his first feeding.  I didn't want to start waking him to eat because, man, this is great!  I like to sleep!  Eliot woke up every hour and half for over seven months, so I was hanging onto this thing!  And, well, my pump wasn't working, so I didn't really think about that.


And then I got this fever and chills.  I thought it was just some little virus.  After three days, I realized that I had a clogged duct (?!) for the first time ever.  And suddenly my attitude of "Oh, I don't like the pump, so whatever" turned to "MY PUMP WON'T WORK AND I'M GOING TO DIE!"  I didn't die.  I ordered a part to fix it and made Jack eat more than he wanted to until it came in the mail.  And I was fine.

I guess that goes to show that Jack may be "baby number two," but there's still so much to learn!

I've been getting some pretty bad headache just about every other day lately too, which I attribute to the hormones from breastfeeding.  I seem to be pretty sensitive to hormone shifts, especially when estrogen is involved.  I don't remember if I got them with Eliot too (probably), but I'm just trying to push through them and hoping that my body will adjust eventually.  We're at two months of exclusive breastfeeding so far.  Four more to go before I meet my six-month goal.  And if it's going well, I might keep trying.  If I'm struggling, I might wean him.  I guess we'll see!  I'm so thankful that I have been able to nurse my boys and give them my best.  It isn't anything great I've done, though.  I've just gotten lucky.  So many people endure much more than me and go longer.  Then some people try so hard and don't go as long as they had hoped--but trying is what matters and any little bit makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment