Monday, April 29, 2013

While I Wait: Thoughts on Our Marriage & a Week Recap

I sit in bed this rainy Monday doing a little work and watching our boy sleep.  I am just waiting for 8:00 am to come so I can call my doctor.  Somehow my appointment didn't save in my calendar in my phone, so I'm not sure of the time all the way.  I am 95% sure my appointment is today, and I believe it is 9:20 am, but I want to be sure it isn't something like 9:00 am or 9:45 am.  You know, I probably just didn't hit the right button as I saved my appointment information while leaving the doctor's office last time.  I had the gestational diabetes test, which I was worrying about, and I was eager to call Chris and talk to him.

We both work from home and are usually together.  In fact, we are rarely apart.  When we are (when he is working out, one of us goes to the store, I have a doctor's appointment, one of us is doing something with a friend, and so on), I miss him and we spend a lot of time texting each other.  That might seem ridiculous to some people.  Some might even call it co-dependent.  Some might say it isn't healthy.  But it's not that we can't do anything on our own--we're functioning adults, of course--instead that we miss each other and we really like being around each other.

Throughout our relationship, we've always been together.  I mean, we were long distance for about eight months, but then we always took similar classes, worked the same jobs (English grad assistants, a J. Crew call center, Education grad assistants, and now online instructors), which meant that we always knew what each other were going through.

I was thinking the other day of how we spend most of our time together, but we are often "apart" in our home.  I might be working while cuddling with Eliot as he watches a movie in bed while Chris is working in the den.  Or we might doing yard work "together" with me pulling weeds and Chris cutting the grass.  Or I might be cleaning the bathroom while he takes Eliot for a walk.  I think that through the years, we have struck a good balance.

We go through ups and downs like anyone else because we're not perfect people, but we rarely really fight.  We genuinely like being with one another.  I don't have to watch what I say around him in the sense that I can be myself and say what I really think.  He's the one person that I don't feel even slightly guarded around.  I can anticipate how he will react to certain situations and I accommodate those feelings as I see them coming, just as he does for me.  I know when he will grow anxious and needs a little help.  And he recognizes when I need to eat, but my brain is shutting down and I'm freezing up, and he forces me to eat something healthy.

Maybe it can be summed up in this.  We were watching The Lion King last night with Eliot.  I don't laugh during movies or tv shows or anything (unless it is a screaming goat and then I cry from laughter just thinking about it).  Chris, though, does laugh.  And we were getting to a part in the movie where I knew he'd laugh.  And I was so very much looking forward to it because I love to see him laugh.  He has the best laugh.

I feel like I haven't updated in forever because this past week has gone by quickly.

We spent a couple of days hunting for palm trees (more on that later).

Eliot and I had a play date with friends at the park.

Both of our dogs got their teeth cleaned and we neutered our younger dog, Dexter.  Dexter has had a little bit of a tougher recovery (he had to get a tooth extracted too), so we've been trying to stick a little close to him.


And we've been doing a lot of grading.

Jack keeps growing and I keep feeling all kinds of new pregnancy pains, like Braxton Hicks contractions already, which I am not trying to whine about.  I'm sure I'll eat my words later, but there is something about new pain in pregnancy that I find thrilling:  it means he's growing and we're getting closer.

Well, it's about time to call the doctor to check on my appointment time.  Nine weeks left tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment