Tuesday, April 9, 2013

28 Weeks

Third trimester!  Finally!


Here at the third trimester, it seems like a big milestone, but my brain can't believe that I still.have.three.months remaining.

I had my 28-week appointment yesterday.  It was time for that glucose tolerance test that everyone hates.  It's not so bad, but I do gag when I have to drink fast, so it was hard to get that stuff down in five minutes.  Eliot was having a particularly cling-y, tearful morning after a rough night, so Chris took him to go get a plain biscuit from McDonalds while I chugged.  No word on the results yet, but they only contact you if something is abnormal.  With Eliot, I failed by one point (boooo) and had to do the three-hour test, which came back normal (yay!).  At my doctor's appointment itself, though, everything looked and sounded good.  So thankful for that heartbeat!  Since everything looked great, I will go back in three weeks, and then I guess I start going every two weeks.


I'm still loving the baby kicks, one of my favorite parts of pregnancy.  I sure wish I had an ultrasound machine so I could understand more clearly what he is doing in there.  I am unable to tell what is a foot, an elbow, a fist, and all of that.  I find it so odd when he is pushing into both of my hips and the top of my tummy all at the same time.  That must look interesting.  Part of me would like to go have a 3D ultrasound for fun, but I know my time is running out since I'm almost at that 30-week cut off.  I'm sure we'll just skip it.  Jack will be here before we know it, and then I can know for sure what he looks like.

Eliot asks about Jack every day.  He asks to "hold Baby Jack," play cars and dinosaurs together, cuddle him, and touch him.  I have shown him a few illustrations of how Jack likely looks on the inside, so I wonder if perhaps he is understanding the concept a little.  It seems so.  He also likes to try to body slam Jack, which is not good, but, you know, they're brothers so I guess it is to be expected.


Still wanting sour things.  The only problem is that lemonade and other sour things give me heartburn from the acidity.  Ah!  I bought a bunch of clementines, and they do the trick in satisfying my sour need, too.  In general, I've been getting more heartburn more frequently than with Eliot.  It's not bad, really, just a nagging burn, so I end up taking about six Tums a day, which I don't think is a lot.  As always, I am reading into all of the signs and symptoms.  Chris, Eliot, and I were all born bald and then grew in blond hair around a year and a half.  I wonder if maybe, just maybe, the extra heartburn could indicate just a litttttle extra hair, which could indicate maybe dark hair.  Chris's sister was born with a head full of dark brown hair, so it's possible.  Oh, the silly things I sit around and speculate about that I have nothing to base it on other than that I think I'm having extra heartburn.  Ha.

I went through and organized Eliot's old clothes for probably the fifth and hopefully last time.  Eliot kept pulling them out of the dresser since the boys will be sharing a dresser for a while, so I have two small, top drawers in the dresser dedicated to size newborn and size zero-three months clothes that can't be hung up.  Then I hung up what I could (three month clothes on the left, our newborn romper and swim trunks on the right).  It's nice to see what we have and sort of take an inventory, and though I think I need to buy a few more newborn rompers, I am not overwhelmed.

Later, I bought a couple of newborn jumper outfits for Jack to add to our closet collection.  Chris isn't a big fan of baby clothes shopping--he says it is too early--but he excitedly picked out these matching outfits for the boys.  Matching outfits?!  I hadn't even thought of that.  I'm not a big match-y person, but Chris thinks it is so funny.

And, of course, a couple of days after I consolidated Jack's clothes into the two small drawers instead of one large drawer, Eliot demonstrated that he could still reach the baby clothes to pull them all out.  Sigh.  It's not that he is being mischievous or trying not to share; he is really curious and likes to point out all of the animals on the baby clothes.

Talking about buying and organizing baby clothes has to be the most boring topic ever, but it is oddly exciting to me.

As for MY clothes, I had to buy some more.  I had gained three pounds since my last appointment four weeks ago (which is good), but my hips are definitely broadening.  You may recall that I bought a pair of maternity jeggings in size one.  Well, I had begun the pregnancy waddle--but not because of my belly.  No, my pants were too tight!  So, up a size I went and fortunately got them on sale again.  I also bought a pair of small black maternity leggings because my regular leggings were... not working... and making marks on my hips.  I didn't see that one coming.  Ha.


I've gotten the nursery pretty much together as far as set-up goes.  I will need a few things here and there, but it looks nice.  I'll probably post pictures of that later.  Instead of buying a bedding set with a quilt, I just picked out a couple of fitted sheets, a mobile, a baby blanket, and re-used Eliot's breathable bumper.  The babe won't need a quilt for some time, and I never even got one for Eliot because he was swaddled as a newborn (though he hated it and still hates blankets) and then ended up in our bed.  So, if we get to the point that Jack needs a quilt beyond his fleece blanket and swaddlers, I'll get him one, but they're so pricey that it just isn't worth the money if he will never use it.

We also took some 28 week portraits like we did with Eliot.  I had hoped to get one of Eliot playing cars with Jack in bed, but he just wanted to roll around instead.  Ha.  We went to my grandma's field and took a few quick shots there with the tripod and remote.  We were only there for about ten minutes at the most, so considering how fast we went, I'm pretty happy with our self-taken photos.  Here is one of me at 28 weeks with Eliot followed by a couple of similar shots with Jack.


2 comments:

  1. You are so cute! Those photos are adorable! Hope you passed your glucose test! With my first pregnancy I failed the first test too and the three hour test is not fun! Not too much longer until you meet your little one. Can't believe you already have the nursery set up, way to be on top of things, I am a slacker lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thanks! Don't let me make you feel bad about the nursery. I really didn't do much. We had recently moved into a new home, so the room was empty anyway. My husband and mom painted, we set up the crib, I hung a few pictures that we already had, and the baby stuff that was already out and easily-accessible due to moving is lightly organized in the closet--and I might LIGHTLY organized. Ha. That's really about it.

      Delete