Friday, October 5, 2012

Planning Our Finances

For the first five years of our relationship, Chris and I were always very intentional when it came to money.  We were in undergrad and then grad school.  And beyond broke.  I always joke that our idea of going out to eat was splitting Texas toast and a side order of mashed potatoes at Applebees.  Going to Olive Garden was the.hugest.event.ever.  We listened to a lot of Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman.  We hoped school would pay off (but we didn't know it would), and a year or so after completing our MAs, we found stability.


Even though we're doing fine and our mortgage is reasonable, I still try to be smart with money.  We order more than toast and mashed potatoes and sometimes we even each get our own drink, but we generally only go to a restaurant once a week or less often.  I try not to be a materialistic person.  I don't care too much for things.  Back then, sharing a drink from Starbucks was a big, big deal and only happened every once in a great while.  Now, I can get a drink whenever, but I don't; I still squirm inside when spending money on coffee, so I still only get one once every few months and Chris only gets black coffee.  Being "poor" taught me that.  This year, we did use a little of our summer school overload money to splurge on a few things we wanted and needed (a new blender as ours was on the fritz--we make at least three smoothies a day--and a video camera since ours died well over six months ago).  My favorite things in life are quite close to free--enjoying a walk through the woods, new photographs, playing with bubbles with my son, or a bonfire out back.

I'm not "thrifty" in everything I do.  I could be better.  My greatest weakness is Eliot.  His clothes and toys are generally new (but almost always on sale).  I tried consignment shops for his clothes, but the deals weren't that great.  And have you tried going to a yard sale with a toddler?  If there is some long-lasting, big item we want (like Chris's surfboard), I think about how Eliot could use it some day.  Then I'm all for it.  I always want to give everything to him.  His eyes light up so much when he gets a new toy car--and they're so cheap.  So, I try to hold back more when it comes to buying things for Eliot because they're just "things," and I need to give him the opportunity to learn that just like I did.


In an effort to remain "intentional" with our finances, Chris and I have been working on some plans.  We pay our doctorate tuition in cash.  We have been setting aside money for a downpayment for a larger home.  And, today, we paid off the first of our school loans.  Why didn't we do this sooner?  There always seemed to be some other distraction:  our current tuition, hospital bills, fixing our 74-year-old slate roof.  Now that we got started, though, I feel more focused.  These student loans won't be due for another year, but it feels good to get ahead.  We don't have "too" much (less than the average student with a BA), especially considering that we are close to both having our doctorates, but I'm excited by the idea of maybe getting them paid down a bit before we even have to begin paying them.

Now if only we could set up a good college savings account for Eliot.  I don't even know where to start.

2 comments:

  1. Have you been to UPromise.com? It will start giving a % of any online purchases back to a college savings account. So you're not even spending any additional money, and you'll start to slowly but surely build up a little fund. Free money! Same thing with EBates.com, but there you just get the money put directly into your bank account!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not all the way sure if this is a person or a bot (ha), but I'm always a little leery of rewards programs. :) I worry about hidden fees, having too many cards or accounts, and developing the "send lots more to save a little" mentality.

      Delete