Saturday, October 6, 2012

Growing Gray Hairs: An Ode to Christopher

"I think you have some gray hairs," I said.  I was looking through Chris's hairs while he played on the floor with Eliot.    "Good," he replied.  "I've been waiting for those."  See, he has been hoping gray hair would pop up to indicate that his head took after his mom's side (gray hair instead of hair loss).

We're growing older.  Christopher has subtle, small lines at the creases of his eyes.  When I was younger, I dreaded the day I'd start looking older, but somehow Christopher just grows more handsome to me every year.

Through long distance relationships in 2004....
...to the seemingly endless search for jobs in 2008...

....to parenting in 2012...
Chris has always made me feel less afraid.

Clearly, over the years, our relationship has changed because we have changed and our place in life has changed, but we have stuck together.  When Chris and I got married, I thought I'd be sad that the wedding celebration was over; so much built up to it that I didn't know what to expect afterward.  I didn't realize then that it'd just keep getting better.
And I didn't realize back then when I was twenty that Christopher, my husband, would be the most handsome to me when he is leaning over to whisper secrets to our son. While continuing to grow older may still seem scary, I'm sure I'll look back on these words I'm writing today and say, "It got even better."


No comments:

Post a Comment