Friday, September 21, 2012

Style Attempts: What to do with Fine, Straight Hair

I haven't gotten my hair cut in a year almost to the day.  I always go back and forth as to whether I should cut it short or not; however, I never do because short hair makes me look younger.

This seems silly to go on and on about, but my hair is thin, straight (though slightly wavy in the back), and difficult to get to to anything.  Before Eliot came around, I would spend at least 20 minutes a day curling it.  If I really tried, I probably could do that still, but the curls don't really stick anyway.

Here are a few no-time remedies that I have discovered for people with fine, straight hair who still want to look a like they haven't given up on life (which I do if I don't do anything to my hair).

Simple Gibson Tuck.  This twisted bun is quick and easy.  If I can do it, anyone can.  It just requires a hair tie and a few pins.  I'm really bad at pinning my hair, so sometimes I have to re-do it in the middle of the day, but I can do it without a mirror in just about 30 seconds.  Here is a tutorial.  And here is a similar one that is a little more "advanced," I guess, that I have tried a couple of times (sorry no photo!).


Simple braid.  Most days, I end up doing a simple, loose braid and resting it over my shoulder.  I think it looks a lot better than throwing it in a pony tail and takes just a moment.

Spray-in waves.  I recently bought some spray-in waves for $5 by Garnier Fructis.  Just spray in and scrunch!  It's not the curliest ever, but it does provide some extra thickness and waves.

Hair pretzel.  I posted this a while ago, but here is another simple up-do.


No-heat curls.  Of course, don't forget about no-heat curls!  I don't usually do this because I rarely shower in the evening with enough time for my hair to dry at night before bed.  p.s. Can you believe how bald Eliot was?  Man!

I'm always looking for new ideas!  I do need to at least trim my hair up and also cut my bangs--they are hardly bangs anymore.

Do you have any quick remedies for boring hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment