Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Life Lately

There have been so many ups and downs lately that I don't know where to start.

I've been working very hard on my dissertation, meeting new goals, learning of new obstacles and trainings I need to complete, waiting for feedback, and then tackling the next goal.  The good news is that I am FINALLY collecting data.

At work, Chris and I have been helping to set up a webinar for the Composition and Literature course.  It's been really enjoyable to connect with other instructors and form a team.  Thursday night is the webinar!  I'm quite excited to see it all come together.

I had this great system set up for cleaning the house and cooking dinner.  It was going great.  The house always felt reasonably tidy, dinner was ready by 5:00 pm, and then it was bedtime routine for the boys.  Then the boys got sick.  And I was lucky to eat dinner at 9:00 pm after I got them settled.  And the house fell apart.  In exchange for this, though, we've been working a lot on the outside of the house.  We've cleared out flowerbeds, planted tons, spread mulch, and so much more.  It really is coming together, though, and looking quite like a resort.

Jack will be a year old in just 2 days.  He is such a joy and a challenge.  He keeps me on my toes.  We are still nursing, but I'm trying very hard to wean him.  People always talk about how hard it is to breastfeed, but people rarely talk about the challenges of weaning a baby.  I had hoped to be able to nurse him for six months.  I never imagined I would have so much trouble weaning him after a year!  For him, this is like taking away his paci and bottle while also getting him to transition to solids all at the same time.  He is none-too-pleased about it and seems to cry a bit.  I've gone from nursing him every two hours to now just about two to three times a day.  I nurse him in the morning, at naptime, and then at bedtime.  I need to work on getting him to sleep without nursing (which I know is possible), but we're making progress.
Our Jack is such a sweet, smart little guy, though.  He started walking about two weeks ago.  Instead of leaning his head forward and trying to keep up with his feet, he started doing a t-rex walk.  He is so proud of himself and laughs and laughs.  After a week of practice, he is walking even better.  He can walk from room to room without falling. He has picked up the speed too and even runs a bit.

Eliot is on a vacation of sorts.  He went up to northern Virginia to visit with his Robinson grandparents, which he was just so excited about.  I know he is having a blast going to museums, playing at parks, and having alllll of the attention on him.  It is good for him.  I have to admit, though, that it is kind of heartbreaking for me.  I miss him so much all day.  I'm so used to him talking to me all the time.  I feel like I'm missing a limb.  I love that stinker so much.  He is something special.  He will be back in a couple of days, though, just in time for Jack's birthday party.

I feel like a bit of a recluse lately.  We haven't been off much.  We haven't had friends over really either.  Chris's parents visited last weekend for his dad to attend his conference, but other than that, it has mostly just been us hanging around the house or playing in the backyard.  Everyone seems busy and I suppose the days go by fast and a week can pass by in a moment when you're looking after little ones.  Sometimes I don't know how I even find time to go to the grocery store (it is never easy).  After the party this weekend, I need to snap out our routine and set up some fun with friends.  Otherwise, summer is going to breeze by.




No comments:

Post a Comment