Thursday, June 5, 2014

Dear Jack: 11 Months

Dear Jack,

One more month left until you hit a year.  I can hardly stand that thought!  You are growing up so fast!  You are doing such big boy things.  The day before Mother's Day, you started taking more and more steps on your own before falling.  This month, you had your first haircut, which I must say was overdue.  You had a little bit of a mullet going on in the back.


I'm trying to teach you to rely on me less for food.  You've never been super into solids, but I have convinced you that drinking almond milk from a sippy cup is quite fun.  You always want to steal my food, but only to give it to the dogs.  Arg.  I had you doing well with solids, but then you got sick one week and regressed.  Speaking of food, you now have four teeth up top and two teeth on the bottom!  We're still nursing, by the way.  A lot.  It feels like too much, but you'll get weaned when the time is right.  Hopefully in a month or so.


You have such a funny temperament.  You are always laughing and smiling or crying and screaming.  Sometimes I wonder if you are teething or just bored when you throw a fit.  You seem to get frustrated by your limitations--you want to have everything your brother does (especially his food, which, as I said, you're just trying to give to the dogs).  When we are out and about, though, you are much more cheery and easy-to-please.  That makes me think you are simply bored.  You know how to light up a room with your smile and flirting with strangers.  I can always count on you for a big grin in the morning.  You also like to clap your hands, give high-fives, and shake your head "no".

You're doing all right as far as sleep goes.  You sleep for about 12 hours in your crib.  You either wake up at 4:30 am for a snack and sleep in until 6:00 am or you get up for the day at 5:00 am.  It is hit or miss.  You take a morning nap and an afternoon nap, but you always want to be held while you sleep during the day.  I love watching you sleep because you look so peaceful.  When you sleep, you remind me of Eliot at this age.

You are still a big fan of water.  We swim in the pool frequently.  You love it when Daddy throws you in the air and blows bubbles for you.  You like the beach because there is so much sand to eat and dig in.  The waves scare you just a little when an unexpected wave gets you wet, but I'm always right there to save you when the water gets too close.  The only drawback about you loving the water is that you also are very interested in the toilet....  You have not touched the toilet water yet, but you have tried.  Oh boy, have you TRIED.  You have flushed the toilet a couple of times, but have not thrown anything in yet.  Yet...

I can hardly believe that you are the same little baby boy we brought home from the hospital last June.  I look at my maternity photos from a year ago and remember how I waited and worried and yearned for you.  Now you are here.  Every day, I get to hold you and kiss you.  Every day, I get to hear you growl as you play with dinosaurs and "vroom" when you play with cars.  I'm so blessed to have you near me.  Healthy.  Strong.  Smart.  Sweet.  Growing.  I never take you for granted--not one second.  We love you, baby, our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment