Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Growing Boys

I feel like I should save some of this for Jack's eight-month letter in about a week, but so much has been changing for the boys lately.

Eliot had his three-year well visit the other day.  I'm happy to say that he is on track with everything.  They even gave him a vision test, which he did well on.  I'm pretty relieved about that because I got my first pair of glasses when I was six.  Chris's vision is perfect, but it is still something I know I will need to look out for with the boys.

I'm always just slightly concerned about Eliot's weight because he is such a skinny little dude.  He eats decent and what I call "moody," but the doctor said his weight (and BMI) are absolutely fine.  And he's still rather tall too.

Part of the reason for the visit was to fill out some forms for school....  This fall, we will be enrolling Eliot in preschool.  He will be three years and eight months.  It seems a ways off, so my brain is OK with it, but they're already starting applications.  This way, Eliot will have two years of pre-school before kindergarten.  I want to give him every advantage I can.  He is smart, creative, imaginative, and so sweet.  I am hopeful that pre-school will help him to blossom socially and intellectually in ways that I find limitations.  It will break my heart to say good-bye to him and send him off into the cycle of "schooling" that will continue for the next fifteen years (or longer since he will be going to college--no arguments).  It won't be easy, but it will be so good for him.  And it's only three days a week for three hours.


Something just happens to babies after six months.  Maybe it is the inevitable mobility.  Maybe it is some cognitive developmental milestones.  I don't know all the way, but Jack has become Jack lately.  He has clear interests.  His personality is so clear.  And he looks like such a big boy.  No wonder:  he is mostly wearing 12-month clothes.  I was going through some of Eliot's old shorts....  The 18 month shorts fit Jack so much better than the 12 month shorts!  Ah!

Jack has always loved baths.  I usually give Jack and Eliot a bath together.  Then I take Jack out to get him dressed while I let Eliot continue to play.  Well, tonight Jack crawled from the den, around the corner, down the hall, and into the bathroom in attempts of getting back in the tub with Eliot, giggling all the way.  He did this three times....  He is just crazy about water.  So cute.

It isn't always easy being the best that I can for these two boys.  Most of the time, they both need something at the same time and I feel pulled in various directions.  Oftentimes, one of them is upset about something.  Sometimes they're both upset at the same time.  I try to find the right balance.  I try to not get tired or impatient or discouraged.  Getting out and about more often has helped a lot, even if getting out results in Jack crying because he's mad about cars existing or Eliot is upset because he wants to stay home to pet the cat.  I think we're all cooped up....  And the sun coming back has been awesome too.  I love watching them together.  I love sharing the world with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment