Saturday, March 8, 2014

Dear Jack: Eight Months

Dear Jack,

This letter comes a little late....  I am so sorry!  I have a good reason, though:  we were in Florida the day that you turned eight months.


You are our sunshine boy.  You are always so happy and smile at everyone.  If you don't know the person, you often turn and hide your face in my shoulder to then smile at them again and again.  Playing peek-a-boo almost, but I like to think that you find comfort and protection in me when you hide in me.  I love how friendly you are--and it is so easy to get you to smile for cameras.

You've been crawling great for a while and have really picked up some speed.  You can pull up on things, sometimes even with one hand.  You also can climb up the stairs little unassisted.  Ah!  Nothing is safe.  You love being able to get around everywhere and make a mad dash for the dog's water bowl.


It took us a while to get you excited about food, but now you love putting everything in your mouth.  If someone is drinking something with a straw, you will surely snatch it.  If your brother has a popsicle, you don't hesitate to tug and pull at him until he shares.

As for your appearance, you are our fuzzy-headed, blond, blue-eyed baby.  Your hair keeps growing longer and sticks up in the front.  It is getting a little long in the back, so I might cut it soon to avoid a mullet....  You have four teeth total--two up top and two below.  You and I are still nursing, which I really didn't expect.  I hoped to make it to six months, and here we are:  still going strong.  I managed to get you to stop biting most of the time, so there is no reason to quit, really.

I love watching you with your brother.  You want everything he has.  His toys are so much more interesting.  And while he's bigger, you rise to the challenge whenever he acts a bit too big for his britches.  It is funny to watch.  He loves you more than anyone, I think.  Every day, he says how cute you are and how you are "such a niceeee baby".  He wants to hug and cuddle you all the time, and you are so fascinated by him.

Jack, you are so special to me.  I love your laugh.  I love your smile.  I love the ocean in your blue, blue eyes.  I love watching you chase and pet the dogs, and I love how you laugh at everything they do.  We got lucky with you, little buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment