Monday, February 10, 2014

Life Lately

I mentioned to Chris last night that I felt like I was in the movie Groundhog Day.  Every day has basically the same premise and challenges and it is all about how I respond over and over.  The same arguments at breakfast, the same fights against boredom, the same dishes, the same bedtime routines.  And then when it is all done, I do work and hope the house grows a little less cluttered each day instead of more.  I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining.  I think it is just more difficult in the winter.

We have had some differences day-to-day.  We've had an unusual amount of snow these days.  We went out in the snow just long enough to snag a few photos since it was so cold.  Jack was indifferent to the snow and Eliot grew pretty frustrated when snow got in his socks.  However, he did have fun helping Chris to shovel.

About a week ago, we welcomed a new kitty into our home.  Our house without Neko has been so quiet.  I couldn't think of a better way to honor her than to adopt another shelter cat.  We visited with many cats, but this one-year-old at the shelter seemed perfect for us.  I can't believe how sweet she is....  The boys just love her and she lets them play with her.  She cuddles with us at night, and sleeps in our bed.  She is getting along with the dogs well enough.  They've reached a bit of an understanding, but I'm sure they will all grow into friends.  After changing her name many times, Eliot agreed upon calling her Cricket.  I'm sure that I am just projecting this onto Cricket, but shelter cats (to me) seem like they have an extra measure of gratefulness that I have not found in other cats.

Jack is continuing to change before our eyes.  He is crawling great now.  For a while, he was crawling backwards, but he is going straight on forward now.  He grumbled about pureed baby food for a while; now he loves to feed himself puffs, mum mums, and steamed vegetables.  He tolerates some pureed food too, but I'm glad he is eating more solids these days.  He is really working on those top two teeth, yet I'm not expecting them anytime soon.  He seems to teethe for a long time.

Other than that, I've tried to keep busy and creative.  Setting up a "dinosaur train" in the hall, forts made of sheets, and "fishing" from Eliot's top bunk.  Chris and I did some painting in the house--and really need to finish up.  I have a date set for my dissertation proposal defense and I've kept up my work for my job, which makes me feel super productive and happy.  Winter isn't so bad....



And I'm counting down the days until our Florida vacation:  12 days left.  When we come home, it will be March and one step closer to spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment