Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fall Camping

We're just a couple days into fall and I've already tackled a few adventures on my list.  Last week, we went camping.  Chris and I used to backpack in the summers before we had kids, and we did camp once when Eliot was three months old, but this was our first time in over two years.

I was really excited to take Eliot camping again and for Jack's first road trip and camping trip.  OK, so I was not looking forward to the road trip part at all with Jack because he hates the car, but I figured we'd make it work.  And we did.  The four-hour trip took five hours with stopping to feed him twice, but when we got there, Jack was all smiles while he looked up at the trees.  That kid loves outside.

Eliot was stoked to help set up the tent, climb on rocks, and explore.  We built a fire, played with sticks, and waited for the stars to come out.  It was all going smooth (and wasn't even too cold) until the campground "hosts" came by to check if we had paid.  They were friendly and all, but warned us about the possibility of bears.  And Eliot promptly freaked out.  And hid under the picnic table.  He really wanted to get in the tent, like, RIGHT NOW.  Poor little guy.

We managed to get everyone to sleep and Eliot accepted that we weren't going home and that we weren't going to be eaten by bears.  But, dang, it was cold in the morning.  I can handle the cold myself, but I felt bad for the boys.  Chris and I packed up while letting the boys sit in the [heated] Jeep and took turns keeping an eye on them.
It was a lot of fun to get out camping again, and I'm just glad no one fell in the creek.  We survived, I think we all had a good time, and I managed some cute photos.  And I'm really proud of Jack doing such an awesome job camping at only two and a half months!  I'm looking forward to camping again in the spring.  I think it'll just be too cold to camp again this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment