Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dear Eliot: Two Years, Six Months

Dear Eliot,

We are at two and a half!  I have been telling people that you are two and a half for a couple of months since it is easier to say, so I'm used to it by now, but the thought of you being half-way to three?  That's crazy.

I have to say, two and a half is a lot of fun.  You are saying the funniest and silliest things.  You have an opinion about everything.  You are vocal and rarely speak in incomplete sentences.  You also are very sweet and tell me that you love me so many times throughout the day.  I love hearing that and I hope that you know how much I love you as well.


Perhaps the biggest change this month has been bringing home your baby brother, Jack.  I was terrified of being away from you while in the hospital.  I worried that you'd give your grandparents a hard time or that you wouldn't understand where I was.  You did great, though, and I'm sure I missed you more than you missed me.  You have stepped into your role as "big brother" in amazing ways.  You loved your Jack right from the beginning.  You don't seem jealous of him at all and always want to cuddle him.  You say some really sweet things, and I swear I didn't coach you into this.  You say you love Jack, that he is your best friend, and that Jack is cute.  You bring him your toys to play with and try to get him to hold your finger.  You ask to "pet" him, hold him, kiss him, and cuddle.  You bring me diapers, blankets, and anything else that I ask for.  And whenever you notice Jack spitting up (which happens frequently), you let me know.  Perhaps cutest of all, when Jack cries, you say, "Aw, Jack.  It's all right.  I'm here.  Ma is here."  You break my heart with cuteness, Eliot Thomas.

The other day, I was cooking dinner in the kitchen and keeping an eye on you and Jack in the den.  He was laying on the floor while you talked to him.  I peered over and saw you trying to read your Thomas the Train book to him.  You even turned the book around to show him the pictures.  It was the most adorable thing ever.  I tried to record it on my phone, but you noticed me and then started posing for pictures instead.  I knew you'd make a great big brother since you love babies, Eliot, but I didn't know you'd be THIS good at it!


I've been trying to keep us all entertained enough even though life has slowed down some with a newborn.  You and your dad have spent a lot of time swimming, and you keep getting better.  You swim in this blue innertube all by yourself.  You swim really fast too and like to race across the pool with your dad.

I think you're getting a little better at listening to directions.  A little...  If you're doing something that I told you not to (like trying to climb in the pantry to get M&Ms), I just have to ask, "Do you want me to get mad?"  You say no and generally stop whatever it is that you are doing.  I'm glad I figured out this phrase because I was getting really tired of having to yell when you're doing something you shouldn't and I can't get up because I'm nursing Jack.

Recently, you have started acting afraid of the dark.  When I take you to bed, you tell me that you are scared.  I ask what you're afraid of and you say t-rex.  Little dude, t-rex is your favorite dinosaur.  After I assure you that there are no more t-rexes, you correct me by telling me that you have a t-rex in your dinosaur basket.  This is true, Eliot, but no t-rex is going to come eat you.  I think you're making up excuses to avoid going to bed, honestly.

You really enjoyed July Fourth this year.  You probably would have last year too, but we didn't really see any fireworks.  This year, though, you played with sparklers and saw lots of fireworks in both my parents' neighborhood and then in our backyard.  We even let you stay up an hour past your bedtime to watch the fireworks.  For days afterward you would ask, "Where'd the fireworks go?"  You wanted to see more.  Next year, little guy.

Lately, you have gotten really excited about dancing, which is pretty hilarious.  You bring so much light to our lives.  Eliot, I'm so glad that you're our boy.  It's been a great two and a half years.  Each month, I learn more about both you and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment