Sunday, December 30, 2012

Still Alive!

This is the first time I have opened my laptop in over a week!  We finally got internet hooked up at the new house the other day.  Get ready for the longest update ever.

Speaking of the new house, we're all moved in!  On Friday (12/21), we closed and moved all of the boxes into the garage followed by the furniture into the house.  The next day, Chris, my parents, and a couple of my parents' neighbors helped to paint the main living area of the house--the den, kitchen, living room, and hallway.  All that is left is the bedrooms, which will get done eventually.  Next, we worked on trying to unpack while also decorating for Christmas.

Our Christmas decorations were a little sad this year, but they happened!  We bought a half-dead tree for $6, I couldn't find the stocking hangers until after Christmas, and we draped lights where we could.  I honestly had been a little envious of everyone's pretty decorations, so I was glad to have a few days of Christmas in our own place.  Certainly not Pinterest worthy, but it was our home--it was us together--and that made it perfect.


We had Christmas Eve dinner at my parents' house with my sister's family and also my aunt's family.  We have spent a couple of Christmas Eves by ourselves, so it was nice to be around family this year.  Also, we haven't had Christmas with my family in about seven years.

Christmas itself was kind of rough for us.  I was up until 12:30 am putting together Eliot's train table, which is to be expected, but as soon as I finished, Eliot woke up screaming.  Not crying.  Screaming.  He kept on for over three hours.  I had not clue what was going on.  I tried comforting him, giving him milk, being stern with him, and so on.  Nothing worked.  Then we noticed that whenever we came close to touching his ears, he said, "Ow! Hurt!"  Now, I doubt he came down with a double ear infection so quickly--he has never even had an ear infection.  However, he has been working on his top two-year molars, which his frequent diapers can attest to.  Chris got the babe some medicine and he was asleep within an hour.  This was nearly 4:00 am.  I was texting my mom at 6:00 am to let her know not to come to our house first in the morning, so I don't think I actually fell asleep ever.  Christmas Day, I was exhausteddd and happily took a nap with Eliot on the couch.  Poor Eliot!

We did have a good morning, though!  Eliot loved his train table, so it was totally worth it.  And he got most excited about finding two packs of Gushers in his stocking.  We spent most of the day watching new movies on our new big screen TV that my parents gave Chris and me for Christmas (and our birthdays.  and our anniversary).

A couple of days after Christmas, Chris's parents came in town for about a day and a half.  We enjoyed spending time together, showing them the "new" things in Chesapeake (they used to live here too), and playing with Eliot.  This morning sickness has really been getting me down lately, and I unfortunately had to go lay down a few times while they were visiting.  I can't seem to eat anything despite being hungry.  My nausea builds up all day until I find myself in the bathroom getting sick after dinner.  Maybe I have some kind of virus too (and maybe this is what made Eliot feel bad on Christmas Eve night?), but I have gotten sick more times in the past week and a half than I did my entire pregnancy with Eliot.  Man, this all sounds like a blog of complaints.  I don't mean to whine.  Maybe I just need to let my guard down and admit that it has been a little rough lately.

The new house has been so much better for Eliot, though!  In Lynchburg, he was limited to the den and dining room since our stairs were wooden and spiral; also, the stairs to the basement were dangerous.  I didn't like him going upstairs alone because I never knew when he wanted to come down.  Here?  No baby gates!  He runs around with the dogs chasing him.  He loves going upstairs to the room over the garage alone and plays.  He seems way less bored.  One time, it was too quiet and I found him jumping on our bed and watching himself in the mirror.  OK, so that isn't too safe, but it was really cute.  Plus, the yard is SO much bigger.  The dogs aren't little terrors like back in Lynchburg.  Before, they'd go out and bark all along the chain-linked fence.  Here, we have a picket fence, which I thought might be a concern, but there are so many trees and so much to explore that they only bark when the neighbor's yorkie is out--and that isn't very often and is easy to get them back inside.

Everything about the house has been great so far.  And Chris has been working super hard to get the rest of the house organized.  He spent all day (ALL DAY) organizing the books.  And I didn't help at all.  I'm a horrible person (or I'm just sick).  Chris has worked so hard and never asks me to lift a thing.  And that's what we've been doing!

2 comments:

  1. SO exciting! I love your fireplace! That is great that you got to have your 1st Christmas in your new home. Love the couch pic, too! :-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's nice to finally feel settled after wondering if we were going to move or not since last April! Man!

      Delete