Saturday, July 7, 2012

Refugees No More

We're back in Lynchburg!  Our power came back on a few days ago, but we decided to stay out of town while everything settled down some.  I had heard that Lynchburg was "chaotic," similar to Lord of the Flies, and perhaps even felt a little post-apocalyptic.  I didn't want to have to fight with anyone over a carton of milk for Eliot.  There are still about 5,000 people in Lynchburg without power.

While we were away, Eliot played with his cousins in Chesapeake.  He had to do everything that the big kids were doing.

Then we headed up to Woodbridge to see Chris's parents.  We originally wanted to go up there at the beginning of all of this, but there was a lot of damage in northern Virginia, so we went to Chesapeake instead for a few days.


While in Woodbridge, Eliot played with his Robinson grandparents while Chris, my sister-in-law, and I went to see the new Spider Man.

We left around 8:00 pm last night to come home, so we got back late (11:00 pm).  Eliot fortunately slept most of the way, but Neko was not happy.  I think she must get motion sickness because she cries the whole way.  She took it easy today.
I really have nothing to complain about through this storm.  We were blessed to have very minor, minimal damage.  Also, we are so lucky to be able to leave town when we need to and also have places to go.  It did feel like we have been on the road constantly, so I felt relieved to come home and get back in our normal routine (complete with super green smoothies for all).  Between our vacation and this trip, we had only been home for three full days over three weeks.


Today came the time to clean up.  In the morning, I cleaned out the fridge and freezer the best that I could.  We only have room for one more bag of trash, so some items (that are probably spoiled but are sealed up) had to stay.  We headed to Target for some supplies and groceries.  Our backyard needs some attention as well--lots of sticks and things to be picked up--but it is so hot out.  A break from the heat will be coming in a few days, so I think it is fine to just wait until then.

Eliot is growing so much with amazing new skills and development.  I want to write about it all, but I'll just save it for his 18 month letter.  I have to say, though, sometimes I just sit back and feel so lucky to have a beautiful, sweet, smart boy and such an amazing husband (one that draws tulips with sidewalk chalk because he knows they're my favorite) to share him with.


No comments:

Post a Comment