Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Always Tugging

When Eliot isn't pulling at me as he asks to be held, he is tugging at my skirts to invite me on another adventure around the side of the house to (usually) act afraid of our neighbor pig (again. even though he really isn't scared of the pig at all).  Eliot is so sweet and loving.  I wish I could always say yes to all of his wants, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed because I simply have to grade for work or read and write for my dissertation.


Eliot is my world.  He is growing so, so fast and I try to take it in every day.  The other day, we realized that it was indeed time to pack up those tee-shirts from the beginning of spring that I've been holding on to.  And all of his shoes are too tight again (except for one pair of SEVENS we bought him at an outlet in South Carolina).  Last time he jumped up shoes sizes (beginning of May), my parents and in-laws both gifted us with a few pairs of shoes for Easter, so I didn't have to buy him any.  I went ahead and ordered him a new pair of Vans yesterday in size seven....  I have learned that slip-on sneakers are the most convenient for this little guy.

As he grows older, I try to always affirm his self-confidence, but I also have to do work.  One day, I will finish this doctorate and maybe I can take a break before moving on to the next degree (I still dream of working toward an M.F.A. someday).

In the meantime, though, I'm glad that he has his dad to entertain him and play with him one-on-one when I need that time to work on non-baby-friendly projects.


2 comments:

  1. dont worry. its good to say "no" sometimes, even if we're not working or HAVING to do something. they learn independence that way, among other things. i MAKE my kids play alone sometimes, even if i just want a cup of coffee by myself, and they learn mama needs her time too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Eliot plays by himself about half of the time or more while I work from the couch. :) Sometimes he comes up and closes the computer on me, though, which isn't helpful. I can do work with him around (sometimes), but to really write, I need to be by myself.

      Delete