Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rainbows, Haircuts, and Throwing Rocks

Sometimes I feel bad that Chris has to fight so hard to get me out of the house in the evenings.  I can be such a homebody and always want to melt into the couch after dinner.  However, if he can just fight through, we always have so much fun.  The other night, he convinced me to go for a walk even though I was bent on being lazy.

As we made it out of our neighborhood and onto Rivermont, it began to rain a little.  I huffed some comment about how I told him we shouldn't go on a walk because it was going to rain.  However, it didn't rain too much.  And when we turned onto one of our favorite side streets, we saw it:  an amazing double rainbow.  It had been a long, long time since I saw such a clear rainbow.

Eliot really wanted to help walk the dogs at first.  He looks like such a big boy, doesn't he?

 Stopping to feel the rain.

I strive to always recognize beauty in life, even in dark times.  I try to be grateful for all of the little things in life that others might not see.  I try to take pictures of everything and document all of life's beauty.  So, when a giant double rainbow appears in the cloudy skies on a walk I didn't want to go on during an evening that I was feeling particularly down, that surely is something.  Chris and I have been holding tight to one another these days.  Maybe it's silly, but I feel even more in love with him now than ever and I think he might feel the same. 

Yesterday, Eliot got his first professional haircut!  I had cut it myself in the back about a month ago, but it grows so fast.  Plus, I had cut it all to one length since I was afraid to give him layers (and just have regular scissors), so we figured we'd take him in.  The lady looked at me like I was nuts, but no boy of mine will walk around with a baby mullet.

Before

During
Eliot was such a good boy.  He sat on my lap and I held his face.  He giggled as she brushed his hair to cut it and I was thankful that he has always enjoyed playing with combs.  The lady seemed irritated that he would sometimes turn his head to look at her and said his hair wouldn't be even for that reason.  I think I'll invest in some scissors and just do it myself in the future (until he gets a full head of hair) now that I have watched someone else do it.

Afterward, we headed to Otter Creek so Eliot could do one of his favorite things:  throw rocks in the water.  This time, Chris convinced him to wade out into the middle of the creek.  And then Eliot was so excited for Chris to help him stand on large rocks.  I love those boys....  I have so much fun watching them play together and taking pictures of it all.

When we got home, Eliot was still full of energy (the boy is down to one nap, but still runs around until 9:00 pm!), so Chris took him out back to play some more and grill up vegetarian hot dogs for a late dinner. 

These days are ones I'll want to remember forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment