Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Photography After Kids

When Chris and I used to feel bored, we would go take photos.  It was our favorite thing to do.  We brought our camera everywhere with us.  If Chris or I did not look our best in a photo, I deleted it.  I had high standards for our pictures.  And I got to be pretty good at photography too.  I've photographed four weddings, numerous family events, and have done family portraits.


There is a big difference, though, from taking pictures of adults and then taking pictures of kids, especially your kids.  So, since having babies, I've learned to change my standards.  This is what I have learned (and how I'm hoping to grow) over the past few years of taking pictures with my little guys.

If they're being silly, just let them be silly.
I always want to capture the perfect picture of our boys, but sometimes they just would rather make funny faces than smile.  And that is fine.  It shows their personalities. I'm lucky if I can get Eliot to even look at the camera.  Sticking your tongue out?  I'll take it!



Capture the day-to-day moments, even if they don't look perfect.
 In this picture, Eliot really needed his hair brushed, but he was sleepily snuggling with his stuffed panda, a rare moment that I wanted to capture.  Did I grab a hair brush?  No, I grabbed the camera instead.  If I had tried to brush his hair, the moment would have been over for sure.  When I look back on pictures, some of my favorites are those that remind me of what our simple day-to-day activities looked like.

There are times too when I don't want to take a photo because my house is messy.  In the photo below, my hair looked crazy and we were still unpacking from moving (anddd I was kind of embarrassed that Eliot still used a paci at two years old).  However, Eliot was helping me put together Jack's crib.  It was something that I didn't want to forget.

Take a picture on special days, but don't be too picky.
I usually try to take photos on holidays.  It's always a good excuse to dress nice and keep track of how we are growing.  I don't keep it going too long, though, to the point that the kids get upset and frustrated.  In this photo, I feel like I don't look the best, Jack is staring at me instead of the camera, and Chris could use a hair cut.  Eliot is cute, though--and is actually looking at the camera for once.  I know when to stop, though, and I'm sure I won't be as critical of this picture in years to come.  Instead, I'll just smile and remember that this was Jack's first Easter.

Don't just take photos of the kids--take pictures of what is around you, too.
It is all too easy for me to get caught up in getting that perfect portrait of the boys.  I'm crazy about them!  However, I need to remind myself that taking photos of the scenery around us is part of the memories too.
Get in the picture.
This is something that I really need to work on.  I focus so much on capturing moments and taking portraits of my kids that the thought of taking a photo of me seems incredibly vain.  The thing is, though, I will want those memories too.  And I suspect that my sons will one day treasure photos of themselves with their mom.  Whether it is a selfie, a self-timer, or asking someone to take the picture for you, make it a priority to get in the shot too at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment