Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Little Boy Growing Up: Eliot at 3.5 Years

I write my monthly updates about Jack, just as I did with Eliot, but my letters to Eliot have finished at three years. However, I do think it is important for me to write a little bit about how Eliot is growing from time to time. So, here is his half-year update.

As Eliot grows, his interests grow too. His favorite tv shows are Transformers Rescue Bots and Wild Kratts. He is always transforming into some animal and going on some rescue mission. He loves to play pretend.

Eliot also loves to draw, paint, and color. He draws pictures for me and it melts my heart. We set up a little craft area for him to keep it all organized, and I must say that it was one of my better ideas.


He is becoming such a big kid and stepping into more structure. He is doing better than ever at his soccer classes at the Beach Field House. He has done so well that I signed him up to play on a team in the fall with Chesapeake Soccer Club--practice is just about a week away! He is doing quite a good job with running too. He loves to run all over the place, and Chris signs him up for little kids' races every now and then. Recently, he ran a race with other three- and four-year-olds and won second place!



His first year of pre-school is about two weeks away. He will attend a three-day a week pre-school for three-year-olds. I am pretty nervous, yet I know he'll have so much fun. He loves being around other kids, learning, and doing art. I'm assuring myself that it will be OK since it is only for three hours. How much do I really accomplish before noon anyway? I worry about stupid things too, like if he'll eat his snack (he's SO moody when it comes to food) or if he'll pull his pants up right when using the potty or if he'll freak out when someone says the word "frozen" (it happens). I just need to let go, though, and face challenges as they come.


One of the amazing things about Eliot is how he is intrigued and fascinated by all of the details around him. He is always piecing together collections:  collections of shells, rocks, sticks, dead bugs... If it is organic, he's collecting it. I love how he sees beauty in everything. He keeps his shells in a jar on his dresser. He tucks his rocks away in the wood beams of the top bunk in his bed. He sees value in everything.

I am so happy that Eliot is still interested in being sweet and cuddling. Let's face it:  he's a momma's boy. He always wants me to put him to bed. It is a special time for me to connect with him peacefully (usually), no matter how our day has been. He asks so many questions while I'm putting him to bed, often about death, which really puts everything into perspective. He cuddles with me most frequently. In the evenings, though, he is happy to lay in his daddy's arms too. Eliot sleeps in his bed in his room, but creeps in our room in the middle of the night. He is so kind with his words and tells me that I am cute. He notices when I wear a dress, get a hair cut (like, twice a year), and even simple things, like cleaning. He always compliments my cleaning skills and thanks me for picking up his room.

I am so thankful for the relationship that Eliot has with Jack. There are times when they have trouble sharing (mostly Eliot's fault), yet Eliot is mesmerized by Jack. He says he is cute all the time. They give eachother kisses. When Jack cries, Eliot reaches to comfort him.


I think Eliot is the sweetest, funniest, most creative kid. He drives me bonkers sometimes with the constant questions and how he bear crawls throughout the house (often accidentally running into the walls and hurting himself), but I know I'll miss all of the insanity. Our beautiful baby has grown into a handsome boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment