Wednesday, June 5, 2013

36 Weeks

36 weeks and doin' all right!  Of course, I kind of feel like a manatee (slow moving and a little, um, large), but I'll take the third trimester aches over the first trimester nausea, constant hunger, and fatigue any day!

I had been getting some really intense contractions, worse than what Braxton Hicks should be, but they didn't progress enough to be labor.  While I wasn't worried that I was going into labor and declined Chris's repeated offers to go to the hospital, I hoped that they were helping me progress some.  At my 35 week appointment, the doctor confirmed that I was at one centimeter, so hopefully that means the pain is for something.  With Eliot, I started progressing about a month out too. To me, it simply means less work for later, not that I think I'll go early.  I just can't let my mind go there or I'll drive myself crazy.

35 weeks

I was trying to help Eliot understand what to expect with a newborn, so I showed him some videos of himself as a baby.  He was so excited and asked to watch "more baby movies" whenever one would end.  Eventually, though, he realized that he was bald as a baby and grew incredibly distraught.  He kept grabbing his head and asking for affirmation that he had hair.  It was pretty silly.  Eliot really likes babies for some reason, so I think we're stepping into the best situation we can at this point.

Over the weekend, we had our "yay Jack"/baby sprinkle/pool party.  I probably should have called it a "baby splash" instead of shower or sprinkle since it was a pool party.  We spent the morning picking up the stray sticks in the yard, arranging chairs, and cleaning up the house (with the help of my mom).  Then in the afternoon, I prepared the food and my parents helped set the food out.  My mom helped so much by picking up some food from Sam's and Chris drove all the way out to Suffolk to buy authentic, Carolina-style barbeque.  We also had vegetarian options, like veggie pigs in a blanket (thanks, Kimmy!) and blackbean sloppy Joes.  While I planned to make more from scratch, Chris reminded me that I am quite pregnant and don't need to out-do myself.  In the end, we had well over half of the food left over, so it's a good thing I didn't go baking bread or preparing dips from scratch in the morning like I planned.  Anyway, the pool party was simple, some family and a few friends, and perfect.  It was fun talking to everyone and watching my sister wrangle six kids in the pool by herself.  I would have helped, but I honestly don't feel comfortable in a bathing suit around people right now (I never bought a maternity suit because I figured I'd only wear it once).

My friend Lara took this picture of Eliot crawling under her chair.  In case you are wondering, those are temporary pirate tattoos on his chest.
Unfortunately, we didn't take any photos at the party because we all were so busy enjoying ourselves.  I feel a little sad about that--I really would have at least liked a photo of the three of us together as a family--but I don't have any pictures from Eliot's shower either.  I do have all of the cards, though, and invitations, so that's something, I think.  Even though I said no gifts were necessary (and really meant it!  I just wanted to recognize and celebrate our Jack), we received some awesome presents for Jack.  I'm so excited to put that swing together (I didn't have a full-size one for Eliot), cozy Jack up in those onesies and swaddlers, use the Burt's Bees for his baths, and watch him gaze at the toys.
I have written about worrying about my weight some, but I guess I just needed to wait until the end.  I went from gaining only one pound over three weeks to suddenly gaining seven pounds over three weeks!  I haven't changed what or how I eat at all, but it's good to be gaining more now.  The nurse mentioned that sometimes there is a delay, which makes sense.  I have gained 26 pounds so far, which is great, I think.  They say to aim for 20-30, and since I weighed less at the beginning of pregnancy, high 20s to low 30s is a good place for me.  Fortunately, the weight has mostly all gone to my tummy and hips, so I don't feel very big in the face or arms.

36 weeks

At my 36 week appointment, I had my last ultrasound.  Jack is still head-down.  He weighs about five pounds, which will put him around six and a half to seven and a half pounds--similar to Eliot's weight.  His fluid level is doing just fine (hurray!), and he was practicing breathing.  During each of my ultrasounds, he has been practicing breathing, which the ultrasound tech said is a great sign for a thriving baby.  He certainly looked smooshed in there, so I probably won't post any pictures of the ultrasound (they were so unclear), but his facial features look a lot like Eliot's to me.

With the end so in sight, this whole pregnancy seems over, yet it also seems like I have much more time left that will just drag on.  The "any day now" comments have begun, and I appreciate the encouragement, but I am trying not get my hopes up about Jack coming early.  I'm running out of things to do to keep myself busy, especially since I am more slow at getting around.  I try to do laundry or clean to keep myself occupied, but it is hard to bend over.  I've accept that swollen ankles and hands are just here to stay (especially with the heat).  They don't bother me too much.  I think Chris is more ready for me to be un-pregnant than I am, and he's even more nervous about my labor and delivery than me!  I have done it before, and I know I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment