Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dear Jack: One Year, Eight Months

Dear Jack,

At one year and eight months, you finally had your second year's worth of snow. And, man, we have had more snow in the past few weeks than I'd care to even think about! It started with just a dusting. We played in the snow, and your dad pulled you and Eliot on the sled. It was a really silly sight because he was pretty much just pulling you through mud. Then about a week later, we actually got a few inches. You enjoyed sliding down the pindo mound in the yard--and later would try it when the snow melted and get all dirty. After a few slides, we realized that you just really don't like snow. You were excited to go play in it, but, boy, you got over it fast and just threw yourself on the ground pouting. We even took you and Eliot to the golf course by our house to go sledding. You would scream in fear at first, but you were smiling by the end of the hill. However, we only forced you to try it a few times because you just were not a fan. I don't like the cold either. I was just trying to take advantage of it all, so I don't blame you.

We've tried to keep busy despite the cold. A dinosaur exhibit came to Hampton, so we went and had fun looking at all of the animatronics. They were pretty loud and moved, but you were brave and wanted to explore. Then you'd come to your senses and backtrack a little. We even got to "ride" a t-rex together. I was just short enough for them to let me go on with you.

During the day, I try to keep you and Eliot entertained. He has missed a lot of school due to the snow--and I also got to cancel classes for my new job teaching at the community college. I've really enjoyed being able to stay home with you guys, and I can't wait for summer.
We did sneak in a beach trip, and I loved running along the shore with you and building sandcastles. We met a chocolate lab there. Whenever you see a big dog, you run to meet him, and this was no exception. Lucky for you, he was a service dog in training, so his owners were happy to let you play with him. Despite your love for dogs, you still call them all "ball". One day you will say "dog". One day.

Lately, your love for books has really taken off. You've always like them, but now you have clear favorites and pick them off the shelf. Your favorites include Goodnight Moon, The Very Busy Spider, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. You like our rituals that we go through, such as pretending the fireplace in Goodnight Moon is hot and "petting" the kitties and "eating" the mush and finding the mouse. You seem to really love farm animals, so you like making all of the animal sounds in The Very Busy Spider. Your dad and I both love reading to you, and I hope that you always love books.




No comments:

Post a Comment