Sunday, July 26, 2015

Dear Jack: Two Years, One Month

Dear Jack,

After you turned two last month, you suddenly decided that you were a big boy. Out of nowhere, you started climbing out of your crib. At first, it was your portacrib on vacation. You were so proud to show us how you put your foot up on the ledge and pulled yourself out. I knew we only had a matter of time before you moved this over to your regular crib. Sure enough, a couple of days later, we had to convert your crib to a toddler bed. Getting you to sleep just got a lot more complicated. You think it is so cool to get out of bed. It takes about an hour to get you to sleep.

You're growing into quite our little adventurer. You love playing in the water at the beach, especially when Daddy helps you "swim" over the crashing waves. We tried kayaking with you, and you sat so still and great. Sometimes you go in the garage and just sit in the kayak because you want to go paddling.


I'm holding tight onto these baby months. Every morning, you wake up and come looking for me. I get you a yogurt smoothie for breakfast and we settle into the couch to watch Wild Kratts, your favorite show. Then you are up and ready to tear apart the house. I treasure our mornings together, just you and me. I keep reminding myself that we just have maybe five more months left of you being a baby. You will turn into a boy right before our eyes and much less "baby" once you are two and a half months. And I bet the seasons changing and the simple act of putting jeans on you will make you seem to grow a year. It's hard to let go of you as a baby sometimes, but I just try to look at all of the fun new stages we will go through and all of the "big kid" activities you will enjoy.



Speaking of Wild Kratts, I am thankful that you and Eliot currently share one favorite show instead of having to argue about what we watch. Whenever I turn on the TV, you point and say, "Rat-rat!" for Wild Kratts. If I take too long putting it on, you say, "No. That." Eliot has decided that you two are going to be the Kratt brothers for Halloween and I guess that works. I am just glad that you will be matching--I think that is so cute--even if no one will know who you are.

This month, you had your second trip "away" from us. Your Mawmaw and Elizabeth were heading home from a visit when your brother said he wanted to go home with them. You were not about to be left behind and really wanted to go too. So, we quickly packed you a bag and you spent a couple of nights at your grandparents' house. I always feel so nervous with you away, but you love your grandparents and I know you have your brother with you too. I'm glad that you are so independent. It makes me feel like maybe I did something right, although it is probably just your personality type. I was so happy to get you back home!

We love you, Jack. I love experiencing life with you and through your eyes. From peach picking to blowing bubbles to building forts, you show me the wonder of our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment